Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 05-19-2018, 03:02 PM

Default C24 Monitoring Issues

I just bought a C24 control surface for my setup. However, I'm having issues with the monitor section.

I'm just running Stereo, so I set the I/O to a Stereo Output called "MIX" on channel 1 for Left and 3 for Right.

I set the Monitor Section as follows:

Mode = Stereo L & R swiches are lit.
"Main" switch is lit on lower right.
Control Room is set to -24 dB

The issue is that it only willl output sound in the Left channel. However, if I engage the "Mono" button it will play in "Mono" in both speakers (Right also).

The other issue (much more baffling) is that the headphone plays in the Left channel fine, but the volume is much quieter in the Right.

I've checked the session to make sure it is panned properly and it seems correct.

I bought brand new digi cables from Sweetwater. I've checked that I connected the cables correctly multiple times.

I've done some research here, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

This is driving me a little crazy, so if anyone out there can offer some assistance, I'd be very appreciative.

Best Regards,

MAC Pro 2.8 GHz Quad Core (Mid-2010), 32 GB RAM, , OSX 10.12.6, ProTools 12.8.4 HD, 002R Interface, C24 Controller
Old 05-19-2018, 05:53 PM

Default C24 Monitoring Issues

This is a new or used C|24? If used do you know if the monitor stage was working OK? How long do you have to work out stuff before you can't return it?

There is nothing complex about the monitor section. And it is entirely separate from the rest of the C24 or Pro Tools. You need to troubleshoot what is going in. Swap L/R inputs at different points in the signal flow. Check the connection on the lower volume side is correctly wired with balanced wiring etc. to work out if it is an issue in Pro Tools, your interface output, the cable, C24, monitor wiring, monitors... (although it sounds like an issue well before the monitor cabling).

You don't really need Pro Tools to debug any of this. But Pro Tools offers a convenient sine wave test signal from the signal generator plugin that you can also check with an AC multimeter.

Use a multimeter/continuity tester to confirm the cable you are using is wired correctly. What exact (brand/part number) cable are you using connecting *exactly* what to where? All the wiring info you need is in the C|24 documentation and hopefully the doc for whatever interface you are using.

It may be easier to make a quick test cable or just probe/clip leads onto a bare DB25 connector plugged into the input connector onto the back of the C|24.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-19-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:58 PM

Default Re: C24 Monitoring Issues

It could be the wiring of your DB25 cable from your interface.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:50 AM

Default Re: C24 Monitoring Issues

Thanks folks.

Since I had an extra cable, I was able to determine it was a bad cable. I didn't expect that from a brand new cable.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

MAC Pro 2.8 GHz Quad Core (Mid-2010), 32 GB RAM, , OSX 10.12.6, ProTools 12.8.4 HD, 002R Interface, C24 Controller