Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 02-23-2023, 02:46 PM

Default Remote control of Carbon Headphone Outputs

Hi there,
My Carbon hardware is remoted far away from my recording setup.
Do the Headphone outputs show up anywhere in Pro Tools that is controllable?

Would the best way be to set a nominal level on the front panel headphone amp, then route the tracks I want to a bus , then make an aux track of that bus to headphone output in Pro Tools, and control that aux track with Avid Control? There is no direct hardware access to the headphone port that I can find in Pro Tools, is that right? Same goes with Avid Control, no direct access to that hardware gain control knob for the headphones. Debating on using this method or just getting a DB25 breakout to an external headphone amp that I can localize in front of me. Shame to not use the built in headphone amp in Carbon though.
Thank you for you help on this!
Matthew
Old 02-25-2023, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Remote control of Carbon Headphone Outputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattheWood View Post
Hi there,
My Carbon hardware is remoted far away from my recording setup.
Do the Headphone outputs show up anywhere in Pro Tools that is controllable?

Would the best way be to set a nominal level on the front panel headphone amp, then route the tracks I want to a bus , then make an aux track of that bus to headphone output in Pro Tools, and control that aux track with Avid Control? There is no direct hardware access to the headphone port that I can find in Pro Tools, is that right? Same goes with Avid Control, no direct access to that hardware gain control knob for the headphones. Debating on using this method or just getting a DB25 breakout to an external headphone amp that I can localize in front of me. Shame to not use the built in headphone amp in Carbon though.
Thank you for you help on this!
Matthew
So I leave all the headphone amps turned up all the way on the carbon itself. I then route my mixes to stereo buses, and then the output of those buses points to the headphone outputs.

The advantage to this is I have a fader control in protools to adjust the master level, plus I can control that from the avid control app on my iPad.

I do think avid should allow more than one iPad for this and some sort of "user layer " page to build simple headphone mixes for artists on an iPad. literally like 16 faders that you can Drag or assign whatever you want in your mix that the artist can turn up and down.

hope that helps!