Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 10-17-2022, 11:32 AM

Default Very slow to activate/deactivate DSP

Even though I've had it for ages, I've only just started using the Carbon in earnest. The first problem I've discovered is that putting tracks into and out of DSP mode takes absolutely ages. I'd noticed it seemed slow before when I was testing, but now I want to put multiple tracks into and out of DSP mode at the same time, it's absolutely hopeless.
Can anyone else confirm that this is normal behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

If I create 8 tracks, and assign a bx_console and an Empirical Labs Arousor on each one, and then turn each track into DSP mode, one at a time, it takes over 5 minutes. Deactivating DSP mode for all eight tracks takes even longer - about 6 mins 25 secs.
If I have no plugs on any track I can put all 8 into DSP mode quickly, but then adding the plugins to each track after the fact takes almost as long as before.
Having HEAT enabled makes things much worse, which I also don't understand.
I've trashed Prefs and tried a few different approaches but the fact seems to be that after the first one or two tracks, DSP enabling is around 45 secs per track.
Anyone have a similar issue or suggestions please?

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 10-17-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Very slow to activate/deactivate DSP

No I do not think that is not normal behavior BUT you have lumped two different situations into your post
#1 putting multiple tracks into and out of DSP mode
# 2 putting sessions with plugins already on the tracks into DSP Mode

So my suggestion is back up and diagnose from square one
For example create a blank session with say 50 track with no plugins and try putting them into DSP the normal behavior for #1 (probably depending on your specific computer ) should take only a few seconds at most

Then try instantiating say 10 instances of bxConsole on 10 tracks (after they are already in DSP and see how that goes '

Here is a link to a youtube vid I made about Carbon DSP (when I first got it using my system below )
starting at about 1 min you will see me put 50 tracks into and out of DSP almost instantly. And then later substantiating DSP plugins on 10 tracks at a time still only a few seconds or less
What I did not do in the vide is try to put multiple tracks with plugs already on them into DSP BUT I will play around with that tomorrow and also see what happens with HEAT OPEN Also I believe I have som bx plugs so will try that also

https://youtu.be/0Qz2lcE9I0Y?t=4

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-18-2022, 01:40 AM

Thanks Kev.

These are new sessions - blank with only 8 tracks and only those two plugs on each track. Your video (which I've watched before) makes it clear how fast things should be, so something is very wrong with my setup.

I will reset the Carbon and see if that helps. And if not, I will log a case with Avid.

Thanks again.

Dominic
Old 10-18-2022, 03:00 AM

On my HDX system, putting tracks in and out of DSP mode isn't exactly zippy (although it doesn't take five minutes).
Old 10-18-2022, 05:51 AM

I tried a different machine - Mac Pro 7.1, also Monterey 12.6 but using a real Ethernet port instead of the double-dongle with the M1 MBP, I used a new Ethernet cable, fresh OS install, fresh PT install, fresh plugin install. Reset the Carbon config and reset the Carbon to default firmware, then updated to the latest firmware with 2022.9.
It's still a mess - the first two channels to turn on are fast and then it gets slower and slower. Whichever way you get to 8 channels in DSP mode, with 2 plugs on each, trying to then disable DSP on one channel or all 8 results in a very long wait indeed.

Time to log a case.

Dominic
Old 10-18-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I tried a different machine - Mac Pro 7.1, also Monterey 12.6 but using a real Ethernet port instead of the double-dongle with the M1 MBP, I used a new Ethernet cable, fresh OS install, fresh PT install, fresh plugin install. Reset the Carbon config and reset the Carbon to default firmware, then updated to the latest firmware with 2022.9.
It's still a mess - the first two channels to turn on are fast and then it gets slower and slower. Whichever way you get to 8 channels in DSP mode, with 2 plugs on each, trying to then disable DSP on one channel or all 8 results in a very long wait indeed.

Time to log a case.

Dominic
I am going fly fishing this morning but will play around with this ,,this afternoon /evening

To clarify are you saying any 2 plugins like the bundles ones or specific ones like bx console ? I think I have some Plugin Alliance bx plugs I will check if I have console and try that .. back later

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-18-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I am going fly fishing this morning but will play around with this ,,this afternoon /evening

To clarify are you saying any 2 plugins like the bundles ones or specific ones like bx console ? I think I have some Plugin Alliance bx plugs I will check if I have console and try that .. back later
Good question, and good call. I just tried with 4 plugs on each of 8 channels - Channel Strip, BF76, Dither and Reverb (Black Spring) on every channel - and no problems at all.

The problem is bx_Console_N (which is free with Carbon) and Empirical Labs Arouser (which I bought, but has a 15 day trial period, if you happen to want to try it out!).

So, I'm not clear if it's because those 2 plugs are just heavier, or if there is a bug with them. Either way, they are unusable unless you have time to kill.

Dominic
Old 10-18-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Good question, and good call. I just tried with 4 plugs on each of 8 channels - Channel Strip, BF76, Dither and Reverb (Black Spring) on every channel - and no problems at all.

The problem is bx_Console_N (which is free with Carbon) and Empirical Labs Arouser (which I bought, but has a 15 day trial period, if you happen to want to try it out!).

So, I'm not clear if it's because those 2 plugs are just heavier, or if there is a bug with them. Either way, they are unusable unless you have time to kill.

Dominic
Yes on my system my digi plugs are very quick my other Plugin Alliance plugs are a little slower ( Eylsia Shadow hills etc.). The bx console completely gums up the works

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-19-2022, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Yes on my system my digi plugs are very quick my other Plugin Alliance plugs are a little slower ( Eylsia Shadow hills etc.). The bx console completely gums up the works
Thanks for confirming Kev, good to narrow the problem to certain plugs rather than setup or user error.
I’ll log the case with Avid and use different plugins for now.

Dominic
Old 10-21-2022, 08:15 AM

Just as another confirmation of the problem - I can put all 7 Metric Halo AAX DSP plugs on all 8 channels, and switch individual channels in and out in less than a second, or all 8 channels in or out in about 3 seconds. Those 56 plugs are a bigger load than bx_console on each channel.

Heat also behaves in the Metric Halo scenario.

So, something hokey about both bx_console and Arousor.

Dominic