How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2023, 07:26 PM

Default Avid Carbon and Multiple displays

Setup:
Mac Studio - M1 Max 64gb // Avid Carbon via on-board ethernet// ProTools Studio current version

Issue:
From time to time I use a secondary display connected via TB3. If I connect that display then launch PT, Carbon is no longer recognized by PT.

I get the generic " carbon cannot connect" message.

It is available via AMS/Carbon Central and I can play music/sounds thru it, but I have to unplug the display, relaunch PT, then reconnect the display in order to resolve the issue.

I have also found this to be the case on my 14" M1 MBP.

It actually burned me on a job but I was finally able to figure out that the TB display was the culprit.

Any thoughts here? I did not see this mentioned anywhere else and may not be an issue for users in a static setup.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2023, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Avid Carbon and Multiple displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Setup:
Mac Studio - M1 Max 64gb // Avid Carbon via on-board ethernet// ProTools Studio current version

Issue:
From time to time I use a secondary display connected via TB3. If I connect that display then launch PT, Carbon is no longer recognized by PT.

I get the generic " carbon cannot connect" message.

It is available via AMS/Carbon Central and I can play music/sounds thru it, but I have to unplug the display, relaunch PT, then reconnect the display in order to resolve the issue.

I have also found this to be the case on my 14" M1 MBP.

It actually burned me on a job but I was finally able to figure out that the TB display was the culprit.

Any thoughts here? I did not see this mentioned anywhere else and may not be an issue for users in a static setup.

Thanks!
Humm strange my setup is static always 2 displays my 27" iMac and an older 2010 Apple Cinema 27" which connected via the Mini Display connectors to a mini display to TB 3 adaptor and it always connects fine
I do not mirror them ,,,don't know if that might have anything to with it ?????????

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-18-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Humm strange my setup is static always 2 displays my 27" iMac and an older 2010 Apple Cinema 27" which connected via the Mini Display connectors to a mini display to TB 3 adaptor and it always connects fine
I do not mirror them ,,,don't know if that might have anything to with it ?????????
My home setup is always one display but I have a smaller display that I like to add when editing. I take it with me when I'm recording remotely and use it with my MBP. Same issue on both computers.

If it's plugged in before I launch PT, PT will not see Carbon.

It could be the display causing the hardware issue. I don't know.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My home setup is always one display but I have a smaller display that I like to add when editing. I take it with me when I'm recording remotely and use it with my MBP. Same issue on both computers.

If it's plugged in before I launch PT, PT will not see Carbon.

It could be the display causing the hardware issue. I don't know.
I don't know either it could I suppose, but if it is a TB3 connection it is supposed to work as a 2nd Display with the MBP
So when you plug it in and before launching PT does the second display work properly ?
Also with the second display before launching PT have you looked at both Mac "Sound" and "Audio Midi Set Up" to see if Carbon is listed there ?

Also holding down the N key while launching PT should bring up a dialog to select a new Audio Device for PT and usually Carbon is listed

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-19-2023, 08:10 AM

You mentioned it's a smaller display. Is it HDMI, Display Port? I'm wondering if using a regular USB-C to HDMI or Display Port adapter instead of Thunderbolt could make a difference? Just a thought. There are very cheap on Amazon and could be worth a try. I suspect internally the Ethernet port is integrated into the Thunderbolt bus. I think it's trial & error at this point until you can find the culprit.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:56 PM

In my testing, I have verified that PRIOR to launching PT that Carbon is available in AMS. Holding down N gives me the same "can't connect to carbon" error. No difference.

This is the display:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BCPH2KFK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It has HDMI but I use TB3 to power/supply signal. It works great as a second display with the MBP and provides a nice viewing area when I'm on my home setup with the big display.

I could setup it up via HDMI but it is wildly inconvenient as I will need a separate power source which kind of defeats the purpose. LOL Easier to test on the MBP tho!

Workflow as of now is to launch PT, verify Carbon connectivity then attach 2nd display.. weee!
Old 03-20-2023, 02:46 AM

You're not using TB3, you're using a USB-C port and using USB rather than DisplayPort over Thunderbolt (which I don't think that display supports).

[M1 Max Studio has TB4 anyway. And USB only on the front].

I can't find the manual or details for that monitor, so it's hard to tell what's going on. In the past, USB monitors screwed up CPU timings and made a mess on unrelated ports. But I don't think that's what is happening here. Instead it might be something to do with new audio channels becoming available when you plug the monitor in - this certainly happens with HDMI - and could be the problem here, even over USB. It doesn't really make sense. Frustrating, but at least you have a workaround.

Dominic
Old 03-20-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
You're not using TB3, you're using a USB-C port and using USB rather than DisplayPort over Thunderbolt (which I don't think that display supports).

[M1 Max Studio has TB4 anyway. And USB only on the front].

I can't find the manual or details for that monitor, so it's hard to tell what's going on. In the past, USB monitors screwed up CPU timings and made a mess on unrelated ports. But I don't think that's what is happening here. Instead it might be something to do with new audio channels becoming available when you plug the monitor in - this certainly happens with HDMI - and could be the problem here, even over USB. It doesn't really make sense. Frustrating, but at least you have a workaround.

Dominic

You are correct about being TB4 port. That is my mistake..

The monitor will only power up when connected to one of the front USB-C ports.

The only way to pass video is either HDMI or TB4 on the back of the Studio. To be clear, it is actually plugged into to the TB4 port on the back of a external RAID that is connected to Studio via TB4.

When I'm on my MBP I am connected directly to the laptop with the same result.

AMS does show 2 output channels available for that device.. but also for my big monitor and a few other things that don't/haven't caused any issues with Carbon.

I will chock it up to being isolated to this off-brand amazon monitor and move along.

Thanks for all the input!