Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-11-2008, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Hooking up regular speakers to 003

Wow.. those are pricey.
Nothing wrong with using them as a mix reference... but in the long run, you'd be better off dropping a few more coins on a more accurate set of nearfields.

Good luck-
Old 12-11-2008, 11:51 AM

Arrow Re: Hooking up regular speakers to 003

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrDude View Post
Well the speakers are Martin Logan Spire and in my opinion sound much smoother.

My main problem with the Event's is that the top sounds rather harsh and overly bright.
Other than that I could use them just fine.
As a matter of fact when I have finished with my mixes and they sound good coming out of the Event's and the 003 they always sound much too dark in all other stereo systems. Including mine. Which is a fairly expensive and accurate system.
I still doubt the Martin ogan Spire's are more accurate than the Events; lots of info on the page, but not a single response chart? I am sure they sound great, but that does not mean they are accurate.

And they are not designed to be near-field. If you room is huge and you can put them way back, it might work. I have my monitors about the same distance as my LCD, but they are designed for that.

If you mixes are consistently bad on reference systems, then I think it is likely your mixing room causing the problem. Does your mix sound significantly different on cans compared to the Events? Is your mixing room treated? Is your home theater treated?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrDude View Post
....My main problem with the Event's is that the top sounds rather harsh and overly bright.
I learn't this trick from a buddy of mine. He had square of toilet paper over the tweeters on a pair of NS10s .... no, no, no, not bascause they sounded like s**t, but because they were harsh too.

Try that and see how your mixes translate to the HiFi set.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBannah View Post
He had square of toilet paper over the tweeters on a pair of NS10s ....
We used to use rolling papers back in the old days.
Far out man.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:50 PM

This is a problem that I have worked on with every project! Get every thing sounding good in PT, burn a disk, and find that its all to dark, deep , muddy, ect. Over the years I have developed EQ settings for each instrument I use (more for keyboards and sound modules, live and vocal not so bad). Getting to know your room and monitor speakers is the most important part of creating music, (other than creating good music of coarse)!! I found the car to be the hardest,,,, get it right for your car,,,, and the other two (boom box & home stereo) sound real bad!!??? So when you finaly get it right for all three, well time for a party!! The only other option is to get it close, and then send it off to a professional Mastering house.(not so cheap)!! Good luck!,,,,,, and have fun!!,,,, Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 04:04 AM

how about using both? hook your events to the main out, and your amp to your hi fi in the alt monitor out and toggle between two speakers. it's good to have real world check aside from you flat speakers.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:25 AM

Hooking up both is a good idea, using the commercial audio speakers as a reference.

I have the same problem, sounds great in the studio, dark and muddy on the CD, particularly in my car.

My problem is my room and monitors - I'm constrained on space.

Originally, I had used a commercial portable audio system for monitoring my mixes and masters. Then I picked up a Hafler amp and two Event 20/20;s.

While technically more accurate, the Hafler/Event combo resulted in a worse final product.
This is because the accuracy of your amp and monitors doesn't mean anything if your space isn't set up properly.

In a perfect setup, you'd have near, far and mid field monitors in a properly arranged and treated room. This is not always possible in home studios.

In these cases, a consumer-grade audio system for monitoring may be better because it boosts the highs and lows (particularly the lows in my case.)

You need to find a setup that works for your space.
You may need an inaccurate monitoring system to artificially boost some frequency ranges.

I've just hooked my old monitoring system and will use it as a reference in conjunction with my Hafler/Event combo.

I'm hoping it helps!

Nice to see that others have this issue.

Don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=851389
Old 12-20-2022, 04:34 PM

I'm hoping somebody can help me with this..

Can a pair of digital Genelec be connected to the 003R SPDIF output? If yes, how would I control the volume?
Old 12-20-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
I'm hoping somebody can help me with this..
Can a pair of digital Genelec be connected to the 003R SPDIF output? If yes, how would I control the volume?
Yes. If they're something like this:

2029A Digital Active Monitor - Genelec.com

…with S/PDif inputs, just connect them to the S/PDif outputs on the 003. I guess they would have volume controls on the back, but just create a master fader in PT for the 003 spdif output, and you have the volume control. And you'll be bypassing the 003's DA converters, and be using the ones in the Genelecs instead.