Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2002, 05:54 PM

Default Re: What\'s the best way to raise volume on a "bounced" track?

Hi Jhon,

just to add my $0.02 - which recently have been rather lengthy - I also wouldn't recommend normalizing a full mix.

In my opinion, normalizing is useful when you happen to have a recorded file (ie: imported a loop) which has been recorded at a low level and you wish to amplify it in order for it to sit better in the mix.

When I absolutely 'need' to have a particular loop in my project but it's waveform is thin as dental floss, I will then normalise the file itself.

While normalizing a whole mix will certainly make it louder, it won't do it a way you'd like it to.
I'd go with the suggestions you got above and slap an L1 across your mix.

pk
Old 01-30-2002, 12:14 AM

Jhon, I think ProTools is probably not the best tool to use for audio editing of this kind. You might want to look into SoundForge by Sonic Foundry. It is a 2 track editing tool which has better built in tools for editing a 2 track mix, or pre-mastering if you will. It's pretty inexpensive too, about $190. http://www.sonicfoundry.com/products...ct.asp?PID=426
WD EIDE 10GB
WD EIDE 250GB
XP Pro SP1
ProTools LE 6.4
Old 01-30-2002, 01:16 AM

I was wondering if anybody out there raises levels on submixes (say like drums) beyond what would be needed for the complete mix (using group fading)to get a good strong signal before they bounce the submix. I would think this would preserve the s/n ratio more effectively.

John
Old 01-30-2002, 07:20 PM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.

Okay class, here we go again!!

I had my mix, a two track Tom Petty type rock tune, I made a Master Fader and took the top "plug in" thingy and put the limiter on it.

I then adjusted it until I was satisfied that my mix was almost twice the volume that it came in at and attempted to bounce it.

It bounced allright, but the end result was still not really louder at all. Am I in need of some kind of "routing" move to allow the limiter to affect the bounced track??

Thank you if you know!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [email protected]
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 01-30-2002, 07:36 PM

Once you've got the limiter on, did you push up the master fader so it was in the top yellow even hitting red slightly? That should get you the hottest level out.

But I will plug http://www.T-Racks.com . I've got consistantly hot signals from it.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:42 PM

How are you setting up your limiter? You need to set it so that it has a maximum ceiling of a bit less than 1 db. I set mine so that it stonewalls at about -.3db. Provided you are compressing your material properly, you will attain your goal. As far as normalization goes, I always normalize everything that doesnt peak at zero. It makes life a lot easier while mixing and setting up plug ins - the gainstaging is always more uniform and makes better sense. I never track with compression, so I frequently have this problem - I have to sacrifice a little bit-depth this way, but there is absolutely no chance of screwing up. I like the safety net.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:50 AM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.

thanks guys- I'll do my homework and report back- Jhon [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 01-31-2002, 05:52 PM

well i tried last night to post about the bomb factory plugins like the LA2A and the 1176 i think there are demo plugins the boxes are better but considerably heavier i hear the fairchild 660 was about 100 plus pounds correct me if i am wrong mat any way if you cant get high levels from those i would be amazed also the mooger fooger is neet to play with in fact i think Jimmy page must have used it on whole lotta love the set of mooger foogers I havent bounced with them yet but they are verry loud when added to the mix with the dc 300 crown on 2 so i think there must be a virtual preamp in the building of those

ok will post now
Old 02-01-2002, 04:57 AM

what did he say?? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2002, 05:21 AM

Greetings Jhon Ackerman,

Bounces done via spdif will give you a conservative signal regardless of what plugins for loudnes etc. The digital path is like that on the 001.

You need to bounce the song to a two track file, re-import it to PT (and not use the console at this stage!).

Once in PT you can apply all the level maximizing you want. It'll work that way.

Cheers,

Haigbabe