Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-21-2021, 10:14 AM

Default Re: How many people have wiped their computer and done a completely clean is installl

I am a hobbyist nowadays (previously project studio owner). Since I no longer have paying clients nor projects stacked up to the roof, I have the time to do a clean install most of the time. I'm on Protools Vanilla running on a MacBook Pro. I have a modest collection of plugins and virtual instruments so reinstalling is not too daunting. I understand for professional users and mission critical deadlines of studios, time is not always available. Add to that a massive inventory of 3rd party plugins and virtual instruments and the time commitment to do a clean install may not work for you.

Having said that, I can not tell you how many times a clean install has removed a nagging issue or glitch in Protools. I do admit that it does not identify the offending piece of code or plugin and simply overwrites the problem with a "non-corrupted" setup. If it were easy to identify the problem software and just remove it or reinstall it, that would be great. More often the time to identify the problem even takes longer than doing a clean install. Fortunately we have many able and technical folks here that try to troubleshoot the issue and provide solutions or workarounds so you are not alone trying to figure it out. Many with decades of experience with Protools and computers in general. They have saved me many times and I hopefully offer help to others along the way also.

The Protools ecosystem is complicated and honestly fraught with years of ongoing issues. Constant OS updates by Apple introduce changes even before Avid and 3rd party plugins have a chance to catch up, which keep the environment in flux. It is the nature of the platform. Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fanboy. I have in the past thrown in my vitriol towards Protools along with most of you. Their cost structure and business practices still leaves much to be desired. Despite all these challenges, I still find Protools to be my choice for a DAW and I still use it for making music as my hobby.

...Did Apple just release MacOS 11.6? Well time to do a clean install again.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 09-21-2021, 10:16 AM

Default Re: How many people have wiped their computer and done a completely clean is installl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Did Apple just release MacOS 11.6? Well time to do a clean install again.
Yes and no, not this time. If you had a clean install of Big Sur already, do not bother. Monterey is right around the corner, that is when you want to wipe it.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:10 AM

I always do a clean install onto a separate external drive (usually a Samsung T5). I install the OS onto the external drive, then boot from it and start installing software/plugins/etc. This lets me fully install and test the clean install and get it working 100% before cloning onto the internal drive.

I also keep a separate clone of each OS, so I'd have a backup of the previous install as well, but that does makes for a number of drives sitting around.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:22 PM

OK I went for it, wiped my computer did a clean install of Big Sur… And over 1 1/2 days reinstalled everything from the websites so nothing is an old version… Fired it all up

And had the same problems… Sluggish, big black bar on the graphic screen popping up timeline acting strange in redrawing, watching multi crashes and spinning Beachball’s when I bounce out a track from the session with no plug-ins on the track right clicking bounce from the track name… Since I print back into the session

I suppose someone could say it’s one of your plug-in
But I have ableton with the same plug-ins and no problems
I think my hand is going to fall off from all the installs typing passwords copying and pasting licenses… I know everyone hates ilok
, but that certainly makes things easier

I thought I at least get a couple of days if not weeks of smooth sailing… But no
So if anyone wants to try this… My advice is save your time it’s really not worth it, and this is coming from someone who did it

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]

Last edited by Rectifried; 10-04-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:23 AM

Does this still happen if you throw all your plugins to unused folder?
Old 09-26-2021, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post
OK I went for it, wiped my computer did a clean install of Big Sur… And over 1 1/2 days reinstalled everything from the websites so nothing is an old version… Fired it all up

And had the same problems… Sluggish, big black bar on the graphic screen popping up timeline acting strange in redrawing, watching multi crashes and spinning Beachball’s when I bounce out a track from the session with no plug-ins on the track right clicking bounce from the track name… Since I print back into the session

I suppose someone could say it’s one of your plug-in
But I have ableton with the same plug-ins and no problems
I think my hand is going to fall off from all the installs typing passwords copying and pasting licenses… I know everyone hates a lock, but that certainly makes things easier

I thought I at least get a couple of days if not weeks of smooth sailing… But no
So if anyone wants to try this… My advice is save your time it’s really not worth it, and this is coming from someone who did it
Didn't you test-run PT at increments between installing stuff? Like, did PT run good with only fresh OS and basic PT installed? Then make a backup, then install some stuff, check if problems come back, and so on. That's the main point of this procedure, IMO.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:08 PM

I’ve played that game several times, I’ve taken half my plug-ins out checked out things put some back… It’s a very long process… And honestly I use many of these plug-ins

If there was some weirdo small plugin thing
then I would say sure that’s the culprit but even reinstalling plug-ins it was random which one was the problem

I thought I caught one , took it out and then another one would happen and I put the first one back in that cause problems and then it was good
so it was a back-and-forth thing… Honestly all these plug-ins work in able 10 I don’t have other DAW‘s but I’m assuming they probably work pretty good in those as well…

I have a lot of plug-ins but not really in the scheme of things.. waves isotope some softube… If there was really a hair on fire problem those companies would’ve addressed it

Protools is just not a stable platform all the time for me.. it works... it’s an industry standard ...I really like it ....
but the beach balls coming at random times when there’s barely any plug-ins and then CPU meter pinned red flashing when maybe one or two things happen and it’s not always the same plug-ins I just throw my hands up

I get stuff done.. but by the end of the day Im 30 mins of restarts.. and having to slow way down with each move... adds up...
yes I commit..but 12core mac w 64 gigs of ram.. do I have to commit THAT much?... apparently with Pt!!! all for a mere 200 $ a year

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 10-21-2021, 07:50 AM

Well found an old back up of Mojave and reinstalled Mojave and I have to say the difference is startling it is now much more snappier
it still is Protools so if you’re at low buffer settings you have to just go slow or stop audio to do anything extravagant… But this is about as good as I remember it

I guess my next question is whether I should go all the way up to 2021.7
My back up installed 2020.12

And the other question is whether I should even go to Catalina which will give me a few more years of this set up

Looks like avid will be dealing about for another year with the M1 migration and even though big sir is qualified, they got another OS launched this week Which I’m sure will result in another year of avid flailing about

If I work along this week and feel like everything’s fine i’ll probably freeze this machine and jump off the Protools upgrade bandwagon… As long as it works within the scope of decent….
paying $200 a year for them to scratch around the edges of modern software when far smaller companies seem to migrate a lot faster

Old 10-22-2021, 05:47 AM

i'm running 2021.7 on mojave and it's solid.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 10-22-2021, 07:58 AM

Thx for that vote
I guess I can time machine the 2021.7
Now I’m curious about Catalina, looking at the compatibility on avid site they always seem to be 3 OS is compatible
Right now Mojave is at the bottom of the pile Catalina in the middle and Big Sur at the top and if you look at the trend will have a will get dropped off in the next cycle I guess that won’t matter if I freeze this system

I have to go back to see were release notes say which feature came with white version, I kind of remember virtual instruments using a low buffer work a little bit better because that 0S release seemed to be An effort to get more people onto their carbon interface