Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2010, 04:55 PM

Default Mbox2 Pro question.. suggested setup?

Hey, I'm working with an Mbox 2 PRO I have read the manual and experimented tons! im just looking for some suggestions on how you would link hardware pres and utilize the mbox pres as well, allowing 4 quality mics in....thanks

i have two pieces of hardware pres that i would like to run into the MB2pro. when i run both channel strips into 1 and 2 mic ins(when i use the hardware DI im running through the mic pre also), i turn the pre knob down to bypass the mbox pre.....i do have good results but limit myself by taking up the mbox mic pre slots. in this setup, when im using the hardware DI its seems to react poorly(either very hot or low signal) with the DI in on the mbox.
ive tried using channels 3 and 4 with the hard ware and have also had good results but sound VERY different than running through the mic pres....3and 4 have one knob controling both input channels channels and im not sure if im actually bypassing by turning it down, im not sure if its an input level???
Old 06-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Mbox2 Pro question.. suggested setup?

External mic preamps and channel strips should be patched into the line inputs(I believe 3&4). If you plug them into the XLR inputs, you are running thru 2 preamps. Another option would be to go into the SPDIF input(you can even use an old DAT recorder as A>D conversion) which will net you 6 inputs at once.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Mbox2 Pro question.. suggested setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
External mic preamps and channel strips should be patched into the line inputs(I believe 3&4). If you plug them into the XLR inputs, you are running thru 2 preamps. Another option would be to go into the SPDIF input(you can even use an old DAT recorder as A>D conversion) which will net you 6 inputs at once.

thanks ALBEE!!!

! the 3 and 4 have a "aux in" knob on the front panel? do i keep it turned down to bypass this?

im not very familiar with spdif. i do have a presonus eureka with the spdif card...i have been running in analog due to someone telling me id have to set word clock in PT every time i use the spdif/ strip( a process im also unfamiliar with)in a session.

is spdif on the eureka a "plug and play" situation?

thanks in advance!