Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2009, 05:43 PM

Default GFX card memory question for new i7 build

As research for a new i7 build i've been considering the GFX card. I read somewhere that the use of a high end GFX card with a lot of onboard memory is actually counter-productive to performance as it eats into the available system memory. I can't remember exact figures but I think it was along the lines of: if you have a card with 512mb of memory then roughly 1GB of system memory is reserved for the card
If this is correct then should I be looking for a card with less memory so I can get the most use out of the 3-4gb XP supports?
Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 PM

Default Re: GFX card memory question for new i7 build

256mb seems to be the sweet spot for video cards (unless your gaming at a high resolution, or rendering 3D/video). My xfx 9800 gt is pretty loud, so if that could be an issue, look into fanless cards or get an aftermarket cooler with a quiet fan.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:22 PM

My i7 system is working just fine with a $37 fanless nVidia 7300LE 256 card. The only quirk it had related to an SLI message(I could click OK to close the message and all would work fine). The solution was getting a new driver from nVidia instead of the card manufacturer driver(MSI). BTW, running a pair of 22" LCD's, one on the DVI connector, and the other (VGA) port feeding an active VGA splitter so I can mirror the edit window in the next room on a 25' VGA cable.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 PM

hey thanks. I was considering the possibility of using the card from an old tower build I did years ago. Its a gigabyte GV-R92S128t and has the ATI Radeon 9200 SE chipset and 128mb of memory. The card is probably ancient by todays standards but I definitly won't be gaming on the machine..... Protools only for the i7 build .....so unless there was a worthwhile performance gain to be had by upgrading the card the money saved would be great. heres the card spec:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=1120
Old 07-28-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stev View Post
hey thanks. I was considering the possibility of using the card from an old tower build I did years ago. Its a gigabyte GV-R92S128t and has the ATI Radeon 9200 SE chipset and 128mb of memory. The card is probably ancient by todays standards but I definitly won't be gaming on the machine..... Protools only for the i7 build .....so unless there was a worthwhile performance gain to be had by upgrading the card the money saved would be great. heres the card spec:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=1120
Probably will not work as it is an AGP card. The AGP interface is pretty much dead with almost all motherboards these days going with PCI-e graphics.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 PM

ahhh...i see. Didn't realise that. thanks anyways.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:28 AM

Woah! the 9200?!? I think that was my first video card, probably got it back in '03-'04.

It sucked back then and it sucks now, lol. You don't really have to spend very much. I would go with what Albee has.

As for AGP, it stands for advanced graphic port, and back when it actually was "advanced", it was what any enthusiast would use. It had a much higher bandwidth than PCI...

but now we have PCI-Express 2.0, which is ridiculously fast compared to AGP. AGP is outdated and I haven't seen it on a board in the past 3 years. I've heard there are less compatibility issues with ATI cards, so I would do a little research, but definitely try to get a fanless, since a lot of these chips get quite hot, so the system revs up the fans which is not to friendly to my condenser mics in the room. Plus, it's [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing annoying.

Anyway, you won't be able to salvage your old card if it's AGP, so check out newegg, slickdeals.net, and amazon. Find a decent card (pref fanless) in your budget, and RESEARCH IT!

I didn't do any research before building my system, but thank God it worked. I can't imagine the disappointment when everything's hooked up and then somethings goes wrong with Pro Tools.

Ok, I'm going to bed. Good luck.

Jimmy C
Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 AM

im using an ati radeon 128mb pci. the nvidia that came in my i7 was just not working right with PT (512mb). since i changed to the ati all has been well.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtechnologies View Post
im using an ati radeon 128mb pci. the nvidia that came in my i7 was just not working right with PT (512mb). since i changed to the ati all has been well.
Out of curiosity is that a old PCI card or PCIe?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 07-29-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
the other (VGA) port feeding an active VGA splitter so I can mirror the edit window in the next room on a 25' VGA cable.
Just curious - what do you use the monitor for in the next room??