Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2021, 04:24 AM

Default Re: MIDI in 2021 and BEYOND

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
This has been happening for years. And I am on that configuration and I see notes disappear daily. Using Midi all day. Tons of VI. Only workaround at the moment is too consolidate the midi region and make it a new one. Then you can move the midi note without it disappearing....

Also as others have stated. Why you can't have it in Clips view when arranging and a separation cuts the midi note?? Nope. Your screwed. BASIC workflow...

Midi needs an overhaul period!
My systems are up to speck with clean installs and up to date plugins. Doesn't matter. Its PRO tools....
Yes as I said I know some people get these kind of problems, just saying that I don't, not to be polemical, just to let know that some people don't have those problems.. it seems to me, maybe, it could be config problems....BTW I totally agree that Protools Midi could be improved in some ways but there again any DAW could improve on this or that
Old 09-03-2021, 05:36 AM

Quote:
This has been happening for years. And I am on that configuration and I see notes disappear daily. Using Midi all day. Tons of VI. Only workaround at the moment is too consolidate the midi region and make it a new one. Then you can move the midi note without it disappearing....

Also as others have stated. Why you can't have it in Clips view when arranging and a separation cuts the midi note?? Nope. Your screwed. BASIC workflow...

Midi needs an overhaul period! Why do all the composers not use Protools? "The Power to Create" as AVID says... Yeah right! The workaround is to use the competing daws to compose.... And AVID is the standard in FILM!!! Go figure!

Protools chokes with most VI's. With one track! CPU overload/Spikes with a 128 buffer! Solution... Use VEP to host the VI's... What!!! Come on now! Buy more software from ANOTHER company to be able to compose in PRO tools....

My systems are up to speck with clean installs and up to date plugins. Doesn't matter. Its PRO tools....

Im not sure if this helps but, the issue that you are describing sounds more like a human timing input issue...studio one does the same thing. I find that if i play a part and if I am ahead of the beat ever so slightly (even 1 tick), the notes will disappear if i do a cut on that beat and try to move something. So if there is an 8 bar loop and I decide to make a cut/edit at bar 5, if there are any notes that are on top of beat 5 then they will disappear when I do the edit. The workaround is to use the trim tool and make sure that the midi parts start exactly on the beat or slightly behind.

Again not sure if this helps or is your issue.

Ej
Old 09-03-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
Im not sure if this helps but, the issue that you are describing sounds more like a human timing input issue...studio one does the same thing. I find that if i play a part and if I am ahead of the beat ever so slightly (even 1 tick), the notes will disappear if i do a cut on that beat and try to move something. So if there is an 8 bar loop and I decide to make a cut/edit at bar 5, if there are any notes that are on top of beat 5 then they will disappear when I do the edit. The workaround is to use the trim tool and make sure that the midi parts start exactly on the beat or slightly behind.

Again not sure if this helps or is your issue.

Ej
No this has nothing to do with "playing". This has to do with editing the notes as in manually moving them. They will disappear. Its random but happens frequently.Once you consolidate the midi clip, it stops. Its a bug and its been here for years along with the others. There are several threads going way back of people talking about this.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
No this has nothing to do with "playing". This has to do with editing the notes as in manually moving them. They will disappear. Its random but happens frequently.Once you consolidate the midi clip, it stops. Its a bug and its been here for years along with the others. There are several threads going way back of people talking about this.
I agree there is a problem here because as I posted earlier, if I drag a MIDI file in from Stylus RMX, the first note disappears and I can’t put it back until I consolidate the clip. So it would seem that consolidating the clip fixes whatever the problem is.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxes View Post
It is becoming a deal breaker for me too!
Unfortunately when mixing I miss the PT mixer. I hope Steinberg will improve this in the future.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You're joking right? That would be almost impossible to do without clicks/pops.
For MIDI-notes? I wouldn't think so.
I mean it to work just like the scissors tool in Logic.
I just want to be able to cut a bar by just cut the part in waveform view.
Now the notes stay in the original length and continue even if I cut the part

(EDIT: I mean Clip view, not Waveform view. Sorry for the confusion)

Last edited by podusa; 09-03-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Midi needs an overhaul period! Why do all the composers not use Protools? "The Power to Create" as AVID says... Yeah right! The workaround is to use the competing daws to compose.... And AVID is the standard in FILM!!! Go figure!

Protools chokes with most VI's. With one track! CPU overload/Spikes with a 128 buffer! Solution... Use VEP to host the VI's... What!!! Come on now! Buy more software from ANOTHER company to be able to compose in PRO tools....

Hey ZEUSS, i was trying to wrap my head around your disappearing midi note issue and went digging through the forms trying to understand what is going on as I am not having the issue you are describing. In digging around I wonder if it is a workflow issue. Are you recording many MIDI clips and then trying to edit the notes between those clips in the Event viewer (is that the name of the MIDI edit window? Maybe it’s the MIDI Editor window… in any case). If so then I actually have had this “issue” in the past, however while it doesn’t exactly make sense why it’s happening, at least there is a reason:
If you have a bunch of different MIDI notes which have their own regions in time that are all playing back at once on one midi track then dragging a midi note that belongs to one clip past the boundary of the clip would result in the note disappearing. Is this what is happening to you?

If so then I would say this is normal behavior, at least ProTools has always behaved that way for me. And has consistently done so. If you need to add to an already existing MIDI recording I have recorded with the MIDI viewer open and it just adds the new notes to the existing midi clip (so you don’t end up with a bunch of MIDI clips that have to be edited between). And if you want to copy and past into an existing clip, then opt/alt + “m” will merge the midi data into the clip and also avoid creating additionally unnecessary clips that would cause errors.

I’m sure you know this already though, and hopefully I’m wrong about the issue you are having. And if so I’d be interested in hearing a more detailed layout of the issue you are having. Or if you could point to me to a thread I’d be happy to try and replicate the issue on my system.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Separate audio notes? That's what podusa is talking about I believe.
No, I mean MIDI-notes. I want it to work exactly like if I would cut audio.

If I for example want to shorten the bridge into the chorus by 1 bar, I'd just like to cut the MIDI-parts and the notes end where I cut it. I mean, isn't that the whole point of making a cut?

I know there are workarounds for this and that's exactly my point. I want it to be fast and easy. NO workarounds.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podusa View Post
For MIDI-notes? I wouldn't think so.
I mean it to work just like the scissors tool in Logic.
I just want to be able to cut a bar by just cut the part in waveform mode.
Now the notes stay in the original length and continue even if I cut the part
MIDI notes - not a problem. But the way the question was phrased it seemed like audio as being talked about with the word waveform being used. You don't have waveforms in MIDI.

QAPLA!
Old 09-03-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
MIDI notes - not a problem. But the way the question was phrased it seemed like audio as being talked about with the word waveform being used. You don't have waveforms in MIDI.
No, of course not. Clip view! Sorry for the confusion
(I'll blame it on the red wine...)