Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2000, 06:30 PM

Default Anyone seen this....

I'll admit it - as well as a musician, I'm an avid computer gamer. I have a Voodoo3 AGP card in my machine as well as a SB Live. I have 2 hardware profiles set up on my machine - one for PTLE with EVERYTHING disabled except for the 001 and one for normal (read, gaming!) with the 001 disabled and everything else enabled. I can't play ANY 3D games since installing the 001 in my machine! I can load the games and play them for a couple of minutes and then my machine just freezes and I have to power off/on. The weird thing is, I can play the games all for about the same amount of time before the lockup. My machine reports NO resource conflicts. I've tried various IRQ settings, changing from PNP OS to no PNP OS in the BIOS. Haven't resorted to rearranging the PCI cards yet. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-14-2000, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Anyone seen this....

Perhaps you are using your digi soung cards wave drivers to supply the sound for the games. I would go to the sound options of the game and make sure it is using the SB Live!, and not the 001 wave drivers. If this does not work then, i would try to disable the 001 in the normal profile (i dont have to in mine) to try to make sure the game searches for and uses the sb live. Also check to make sure that the live card is loaded in the game profile. The digi wave drivers where not designed to play games, although they may work, i would think that the games may be a little too demanding for what you would need.

Good luck
Christian
Old 12-15-2000, 05:39 AM

I have noticed that my machine sucks for gaming since installing the Digi001. My games frequently will freeze, or my machine will just reboot itself in the middle of a game which is very frustrating while playing Madden online!

I also notice that the sound is choppy and sometimes delayed a second or two from what is happening in the game.

It sucks, but I really doubt Digi will do anything about it. I'll probably end up building a different machine for everything else I do on computer and dedicate this one to ProTools. The Digi001 just doesn't want to play nice and share with any other hardware/software.
ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU RT
EnerMax EG365P-VE FMA 1.3 RT
GeForce2MX
Old 12-15-2000, 09:50 AM

just go and build yourself a kickass duron box w/ 256+ MB of ram and stick your SB live and graphics card into it. get a cheaper card for your PT setup since we all know how "graphics intensive" PT is. get a nive 20GB drive, this should place you @ under a thousand bucks. now get yourself a 20$ monitor switcher so you dont have to buy another monitor (typicallly the most expensive piece in your system, if you have a good monitor)

there you go. 2 cents from the sea of chruning milk. _x
Old 12-15-2000, 11:39 AM

I play a few games on my system, and it works really well for a PII400. I don't even have a second hardware profile for my digi. I just switch the multimedia properties over to my soundcraper. What kind of CPU do you have? My guess is tha AMD would have problems.
Old 12-16-2000, 06:05 PM

Well, I figured out what the problem was. My new Gigabyte 440bx board has some jumpers specifically for the Voodoo3 card. I needed to set them appropriately. Problem fixed!
Old 12-16-2000, 08:07 PM

Good for you,
I knew that the 001 would not prevent you from playing games, because games work fine with my machine (PII 333), and on the machine at the studio (when we need a break from recording and editing =) ).

Christian
Old 12-17-2000, 10:41 PM

I have a similar problem...
Ever since i installed the card... Everquest freezes after a couple of minutes...
Nothing i have done fixes it :*(
i tried disabling the digi card.. no go.
I cant think of what else it could be.
Old 12-19-2000, 07:36 PM

Cradlefan,

What type of motherboard do you have?