Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-10-2001, 01:45 PM

Default CAN THE DIGI 001 BE UPGRADED?

Hello,

Please be patient with me, I'm still trying to learn the ropes!

I am planning on purchasing a Digi 001 system. Can I upgrade the hardware on it?
More inputs? Beef up the DSP capability?
Get a mix farm card for it? Amp Farm?

Also, can I upgrade the software to the full
blown version of Pro Tools? Is it 5.1.1?
Will this work smoothly with Digi 001 hardware?

Am I correct in understanding that it's pointless to buy a new dual processor Mac because no version of Pro tools can take advantage of it?

Thanks in advance for any help! [email protected]
Old 12-10-2001, 02:56 PM

Default Re: CAN THE DIGI 001 BE UPGRADED?

Following your questions (in order):
No,
No,
No (except by buying a faster Mac),
No,
No,
Yes,
Yes,
Yes,
Yes.
Hope that helps...Yes/No?...No/Yes?...
Old 12-10-2001, 03:36 PM

Mr. T,

You can upgrade to PT with the 001? How much is it and what advantages (if any) would it give you. Maybe stereo tracks???
Old 12-10-2001, 03:47 PM

Nope, there's no hardware upgrade for digi 001. Digi 001 is a dead end system. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2001, 04:57 PM

To summarise:

The hardware cannot be upgraded.
(You could however get a convertor to take the Adat to analogue).

You cannot add DSP - unless you get something like a Pulsar/Korg Oasys - but these will not run within the PT hardware and you'll end up getting two mixers/environments to maintain (which I wouldn't advise).

You cannot run any of the TDM cards with it.

You cannot run AmpFarm or any of the TDM only plugins.

The full blown TDM software will only run with TDM hardware - only PT LE will work with the Digi001.

Yes you're right Digi doesn't support dual - although a Logic front end with the Digi001 hardware will as far as I know.

The upgrade you are probably thinking of is that Digi let you trade in old/lessor hardware against newer TDM stuff - so at a later date you could purchase a TDM system and get some of the money back that you paid for your Digi001.

The current PT LE version is also 5.1.1 and this does give you stereo tracks anyway - you're probably thinking of experiences with PT Free which is frozen at 5.01.

So when you buy a Digi001 you get a strictly 24 track (or 12 stereo track) system, that will also deal with a number of aux feeds, midi etc. You get the hardware interface that can also be accessed by Logic, and you get the PT software that can access any plugin that conforms to the RTAS (real time audio-suite) or AS (audio-suite - batch, not real time processing) standard. ALL processing (plugins, mixing etc) is done by your processor and your processor alone.

There is no way you can add hardware acceleration to this system unless you use Logic as a front end and get one of the accelerator cards by TC works etc.

I'm someone that started on the 001 and now have a TDM system - what this gives you is a wider choice of plugins, some nice features within the s/w (scrolling, no track limit etc.), more tracks (64 on my system), and near zero latency, so I can apply effects as I record.

Oh, and a large bill - and expensive plugins!

Hope this helps

Pete
Old 12-11-2001, 02:43 PM

No Kris, I just thought he meant full version = PTLE 5.1.1 (in opposition to V°4 or 5)....
Old 12-11-2001, 04:27 PM

Actually, you CAN upgrade the number of stock analog inputs (it comes with 8 only) as many of us have with an external A/D converter that feeds the lightpipe interface.

You can also upgrade the quality of the converters with a Rosetta, Lucid, RME, etc. converter.

It's certainly not VERY expandable, but 18 i/o is adequate for a LOT of recording styles.

The biggest limitation for me is 24 tracks.

I think the TDM upgrade from an 001 is measly (like a $500 credit or so).

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:07 PM

Don't forget that you can upgrade your Digi001 break out box front cover ;-)

It comes in severel different colours increasing your creative productivity.

// JW

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3