Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Buses in PT 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Man View Post
So you are saying that in addition to any new busing features, it is still possible to bus the old way as in PT8 and before.

For example, you can assign the output of track 1 to bus 5-6, and then create a new audio track or aux channel and select bus 5-6 as the input to that track for recording a stem or creating a submaster?

I know this sounds simple, but my source just told me this is no longer possible.

Mark
I can assure you, that this is still working - exactly the way it always has. That's how I have been routing my stems in every project I have ever worked on. I agree it would be outrageous, if it wouldn't work anymore. But why would Avid cut out rudimentaries?

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 01-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:

I know this sounds simple, but my source just told me this is no longer possible.

Mark
It's time for you to pick new sources
Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
I can assure you, that this is still working - exactly the way it always has. That's how I have been routing my stems in every project I have ever worked on. I agree it would be outrageous, if it wouldn't work anymore. But why would Avid cut out rudimentaries?
I found it hard to believe as well, but a serious Pro Tools veteran told me otherwise. Just goes to show you that even the most experienced of us can miss something obvious.

I'll be at NAMM tomorrow and would love to take a look, but the last few years Digi/Avid has done away with demo stations and replaced them with salesmen in suits and ties.

Mark
Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
So you are saying that in addition to any new busing features, it is still possible to bus the old way as in PT8 and before.

For example, you can assign the output of track 1 to bus 5-6, and then create a new audio track or aux channel and select bus 5-6 as the input to that track for recording a stem or creating a submaster?

Mark
You may want to re-consider who you are using for a source of information as you can absolutely still do this with PT9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
you can now map Buses directly to a phyiscal output (I don't know what for, though)
This can be handy for using outboard gear as well, like FX units.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I found it hard to believe as well, but a serious Pro Tools veteran told me otherwise. Just goes to show you that even the most experienced of us can miss something obvious.
I think in his case he has managed to delete busses and has never thought of pushing that Default button to get them back. Just a thought.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:47 PM

I copied this from poster Jack Ruston from the other thread I started in the Mac OS section. Seems pertinent to this discussion, especially the last sentence.

Mark

No. Busses are the same in practical use with two exceptions.

1. If you auto create a bus by using the automatic track creation from the bus menu, it will call the bus whatever you called the track in the track creation dialog.

2. Outputs now have the option of having a bus alias assigned in the io setup. So your output might be HD IO 1 1-2. Your alias might be 'kick'. These aliases appear in the output window as well as the original output label, not in the bus window.

There is one annoying thing...say you have a bunch or busses named in your default IO template, but nothing assigned to them, if you choose to use the automatic track creation from bus feature, you will overwrite the names of those busses.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I copied this from poster Jack Ruston from the other thread I started in the Mac OS section. Seems pertinent to this discussion, especially the last sentence.

Mark

There is one annoying thing...say you have a bunch or busses named in your default IO template, but nothing assigned to them, if you choose to use the automatic track creation from bus feature, you will overwrite the names of those busses.

This is my only complaint, but it's really easily overcome. Just make sure you have something routed through the busses like you like before you start creating busses from the automatic track creation tool. In fact if you get a template with you standard busses already routed this shouldn't be an issue anymore IMO.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:05 PM

As a 16-year daily PT user for music, film, sfx, and spoken word, I'm leaping up and down with joy over the way buses are implemented in 9. Time saver, headache saver.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB