Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Edit Groups = ALL

I have the Edit Group set to ALL and I want to delete things at the beginning. I want to have everything slide to the left so I set Shuffe on. However, when I delete the beginnings of all of my tracks, the Tempo settings are not adjusted accordingly. So, after the delete, the Bars:Beats are wrong and the Tempo changes are all wrong.

How do I edit ALL and have the Tempo and Bars:Beats indications follow the edit?

Thanks,

-Andres
Old 03-30-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Edit Groups = ALL

Shift+click in the timeline(s).

You can also use the Event menu to do this.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-02-2007, 08:01 AM

Thank you for your response.

Nothing happens when I Shift+click in the timeline.

In the Event menu I see the Time Operations dialog. Is that what I use? In other words, do I first do my edit and then re-adjust the timeline manually? That seems error prone. Isn't there a way to have the tempo and Bars:Beats move automatically when I edit with Edit Group=ALL?

-Andres
Old 04-04-2007, 09:11 AM

Bump...

Please forgive me if this is such an obvious and newby question. But I still do not know how to do this. Is there a way to edit the beginning of several tracks (with Group=ALL) and have the time line adjust automaticly?

Thanks,

-Andres
Old 04-13-2007, 03:00 AM

bumpus
Old 04-13-2007, 05:57 AM

In the Event menu is an window called 'Time Operations.' In that window, use Cut Time to remove time from a session including regions, markers, tempo events, etc.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:48 PM

Thank you so much for your reply and answer.

What was confusing to me was that the Time Operations also edits the regions. This was very surprising to me. In other words, you select the part of the regions you want to delete (with Edit Groups=All) then you go in the Time Operations and Cut Time deletes that part of the regions and adjusts the time line accordingly. I was looking at the Time Operations dialog as only dealing with the time line.

I guess my thinking in strange, because it seems to me that having the time line adjust when doing an edit with Edit Groups=All, is a property of edits or a kind of edit or a particular style of edits. It does not seem that editing regions is a property of a time line function. Its like there should be an option of "Time Line Follows Edit" in the preferences similar to "Region List Selection Follows Edit Selection." It just seems awkward to me to delete my regions from within the Time Operations dialog.

But...who am I to say. I am just grateful to learn how to perform this operation. Thanks again for all of your help.

-Andres