How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2019, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Avid Artist Mix Replacement touch-sensitive rotary encoders

Hi All,

I'm having a similar issue with my Euphonix MC Control. One encoder's switch and rotation work perfectly in test mode, but it doesn't sense touch. I've done the diagnostic as suggested by Eddie and confirmed touching one of the larger solder mounts does not register a touch so it must be the IC. I'd like to confirm the IC needed, but it appears to be different than the one used in the MC Mix (Atmel QT113B):

Microchip PIC 12F5091

Can anyone please confirm if this the correct one to replace?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0162.jpg (46.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-14-2019, 12:06 PM

I could be wrong, because maybe it should be that way, but resistor "R164" from your picture appears to be missing.... I'd check for loose parts rattling around the chassis.

Al
Old 04-14-2019, 12:16 PM

Thank you for the reply! I just took a look at the other encoder circuit sections and they all have the resistor unpopulated. I've attached a more complete picture of all 4 encoder sections. So, good observation, but it looks like it's supposed to be that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPro View Post
I could be wrong, because maybe it should be that way, but resistor "R164" from your picture appears to be missing.... I'd check for loose parts rattling around the chassis.

Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (21.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-14-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaulGtr View Post
Thank you for the reply....So, good observation, but it looks like it's supposed to be that way...
Okay...fair enough.

The joints for the Diode (D93)look a little suspect also, as do some of the other work... pitting in the joints themselves. Do you know if anyone else has been tinkering with this unit?

I only mention it because you may have to just touch-up some of those joints.

Al
Old 04-14-2019, 04:45 PM

Hmm, good question. I'm not sure if anyone else worked on the unit, but a lot of the joints look the same. Thanks, I'll reflow those joints to be on the safe side before replacing the IC. In doing some research, it seems like while the Artist Mix uses ICs that had dedicated touch sensor pins, the MC control is using a fairly generic 8-bit PIC and having it's ADC to sense capacitive touch.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPro View Post
Okay...fair enough.

The joints for the Diode (D93)look a little suspect also, as do some of the other work... pitting in the joints themselves. Do you know if anyone else has been tinkering with this unit?

I only mention it because you may have to just touch-up some of those joints.

Al
Old 04-15-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
The MC control is using a fairly generic 8-bit PIC and having it's ADC to sense capacitive touch.
Thanks!
Okay... I've been looking at the data sheet for that particular micro controller, and judging from the 12F509i footprint, it doesn't appear to have an A to D converter.

Just picking your brain here, and sorry for the questions... I know you're looking for answers!

If you buy a replacement PIC, how do you know it will be programmed to the spec of the Artist Control?

Even if you had a copy of MP-Lab, and a PIC programming setup... where would you get the program to flash to the PIC in the first place?

I don't know, but that is starting to sound like something proprietary from AVID... in addition to the PIC itself.

But , then again i'm just speculating here, and like you... just looking for answers.

Al

Last edited by MoPro; 04-28-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:55 AM

Thanks @MoPro. That is a REALLY good point which I didn't think of until now. I guess someone from Avid would need to chime in, but short of taking another good IC and cloning it (if copy protection is not enabled), this repair would be impossible for me to do. If I don't hear from Avid, I'll cut my losses and return to the seller.

Thanks again
Old 07-03-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks @MoPro. That is a REALLY good point which I didn't think of until now. I guess someone from Avid would need to chime in, but short of taking another good IC and cloning it (if copy protection is not enabled), this repair would be impossible for me to do. If I don't hear from Avid, I'll cut my losses and return to the seller.

Thanks again
Hi, I don't know if you worked out your problem but I have a broken Artist Mix. I could send you two of those IC's (one to use and one spare) if you want.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:46 PM

I found this thread with component info fore the Artist Mix. I am hoping someone may be able to help.

I picked up a damaged Artist Mix that doesn't power up. In opening the unit, you can see it looks like it took a power surge (see image)

That damaged area is the reverse side of the power switch. It looks like its 4 solder pads to swap it out. I am just not sure how to go about finding a replacement.

Anybody know the part or have recommendations?

Thanks,

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220916_143536669_HDR[19096].jpg (30.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-16-2022, 12:55 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshonk View Post
I found this thread with component info fore the Artist Mix. I am hoping someone may be able to help.

I picked up a damaged Artist Mix that doesn't power up. In opening the unit, you can see it looks like it took a power surge (see image)

That damaged area is the reverse side of the power switch. It looks like its 4 solder pads to swap it out. I am just not sure how to go about finding a replacement.

Anybody know the part or have recommendations?

Thanks,

Dave
No this is the component(Inductor) next to it. There's a separate thread on how to fix that. https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?...t=choke&page=3