Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2002, 06:53 PM

Default Downloading on PC and putting on mac?

I'm getting a Mac and I am running a PC. unfortunately only my PC will be having internet access... but does it work for me to download mac plugs/etc to my pc, burn to disc, and install onto my mac?
Old 04-16-2002, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Downloading on PC and putting on mac?

i tried this but i dont think the cd burning software i was running could burn a mac compatible data cd because my mac wouldnt read it. you can try it, it'll only cost you about 75 cents for a cd-r. when you burn it try and find an option for mac compatability or something...
Old 04-16-2002, 07:50 PM

works just fine either way.... as long as the respected platform recognizes the file type, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Emo King:
I'm getting a Mac and I am running a PC. unfortunately only my PC will be having internet access... but does it work for me to download mac plugs/etc to my pc, burn to disc, and install onto my mac?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">if you burn a disk on a pc, it will be formatted for pc. take a look here for software that will allow you to open a pc formatted disc with a mac, and visa - versa.

http://www.dataviz.com/products/index.html
Old 04-17-2002, 08:36 AM

Another option is networking the two computers if they both have ethernet cards and then using PC/MACLan or Dave. PC MacLan allows a PC to use the AppleTalk Networking Protocol, and Dave allows Macs to use windows network protocol.

For the internet issue, I use an inexpensive software program called All Aboard Server, check it out at:

http://www.internetshare.com

It allows you to share any internet connection (dialup, DSL, Cable etc.) over a network of computers (Mac and PC). I am successfully using it with a network of two PCs and two MACs.

As to the burning issue, there is an extension for MACs that will allow them to read PC formatted CDs, I think it is called "Joliet ISO 9660", and I believe that it can be downloaded for free. In general MACs do pretty well at recognizing PC files, however, this CD issue has plagued me in the past until I git the extension.

Hope this helps out, and let us know if you need more advice.

Bryan
Old 04-17-2002, 08:41 AM

I download SIT or HQX, etc Mac files on my Internet PC, put them on a Zip disk, pop the Zip disk into the Mac, no problem.

Have also burned CD-Rs on the PC, no problem on the Mac

- Sean
Old 04-17-2002, 09:22 AM

BTW further to my previous post I highly recommend both MacOpener for PC and the Joliet extension for Mac, with these plus the fact that Macs mount PC diskettes and Zip drives and even Memory Sticks no fuss or bother I never have difficulties.

finally, for info I have successfully used my Sony camcorder with a 64Mb Memory Stick in USB to transfer large files between my Mac and PC and vice versa

- Sean
Old 04-17-2002, 09:43 AM

The .SIT and .HQX suggestions are excellent as PCs will tend to corrupt alot of Macintosh files in their native forms. Make sure that the files are compressed to assure that they will make it to the mac in a readable form.

Cheers

Bryan
Old 04-17-2002, 10:22 AM

Yes, that's true, PC filesystems can't handle resource forks and strip them out, while a compressed Mac file keeps the resource fork safely tucked away during transit

- Sean
Old 04-17-2002, 10:38 AM

I agree with all the options offered. One other option (which I also use) is to go ahead and hook up the Mac for Internet connection. You did not say why you couldn't do so. Are you getting a G4 Mac? All have modems & ethernet built in. If it's a matter of DSL or cable modem, a router will do the trick.