Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2010, 10:42 AM

Default Re: ProTools placing sound EARLY??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
I read the answer about 003 not being affected. So, yesterday I went out and got a 003 Plus Rack.

Sadly, the results are exactly the same as with my Digi 002 Rack: 5020 samples earlier.

So no, the 003 is not safe at all.

I think some people here are not doing the test right. If you bus the output of the click track to an audio track, there's no problem at all. It happens only when recording from an actual input in the interface.
Thats exactly what i did, and i got a 1200 sample .... un... delay

someone try the input only monitoring. see if it changes anything.

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 08-21-2010, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools placing sound EARLY??

The number of seasoned professionals and serious beta testers that missed this is astounding to me. It really does help make the point for the need of ADC in these systems. I wonder how many sessions have gone to mixdown and beyond with unheard timing variations that can have subtle negative effects on a project. This shows that we are all capable of allowing latency (or in this case the reverse of it) to at times go undedicated. This is a serious issue. We need ADC. And we need this sissue fixed.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post

Nick
No, that didn't make a difference to me. Neither enabling/disabling Low Latency Monitoring.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post

Nick
What about "earliency" as opposed to "latency"? (as in early/late)
Old 08-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
The number of seasoned professionals and serious beta testers that missed this is astounding to me. (...) I wonder how many sessions have gone to mixdown and beyond with unheard timing variations that can have subtle negative effects on a project. (...) We need ADC.
Yeah the band were on my back.... "where's the new song!". 7 weeks of stress for me. I kept telling them "I'm not happy with it" - but i didnt know why. At least I told them this week it was Pro Tools' fault and not mine. Well, sort of (unpaid) compensation.

Edit: They were very understanding and knew something was wrong. They understand pro tools enough to know whats going on at wave form level when i showed them. So all good.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 08-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
The number of seasoned professionals and serious beta testers that missed this is astounding to me. It really does help make the point for the need of ADC in these systems. I wonder how many sessions have gone to mixdown and beyond with unheard timing variations that can have subtle negative effects on a project. This shows that we are all capable of allowing latency (or in this case the reverse of it) to at times go undedicated. This is a serious issue. We need ADC.
I agree, for the "Standard of the Industry" to allow this is embarrassing! Everyone else has it, buck-up!
Old 08-21-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
The number of seasoned professionals and serious beta testers that missed this is astounding to me. It really does help make the point for the need of ADC in these systems. I wonder how many sessions have gone to mixdown and beyond with unheard timing variations that can have subtle negative effects on a project. This shows that we are all capable of allowing latency (or in this case the reverse of it) to at times go undedicated. This is a serious issue. We need ADC.
which is why i did what i did in the post below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
ain't that the truth i mean i spent ALL day yesterday chasin' workarounds for this bug. i pulled out my bass to test the input placement (sorta like the click/mic/headphone test) too. what was weird is i could play and nail the note/transient right on the beat as i played longer into the test. when i played at the beginnin' of the test my notes landed early tho. so maybe my brain kicked in some ADC or somethin' without me realizin' it it needs to be fixed...YESTERDAY!!!!

DTS can we get a status on a cs timetable? i know...i know...i can probably answer that one myself
now granted this is just me playin' 1/4 note at a time to see where the input of my bass lands on the track. and as i posted the longer i recorded the more in-sync i was with the click and bein' close to sample accurate of nailin' the beat accordin' to PTLE edit window. and i did not watch the screen either while playin' 'cause i did not want that to influence me. so my point...just because it doesn't look right on the screen doesn't mean it didn't feel right. so to your point Tom, i agree we ALL are capable of allowin' latency. for me, i hope my 'ears' tell me what MikeLip's told him...that it didn't feel right!!! but let's be real, there are 'probably' hundreds of samples of latency between players when layin' down a track and it still can 'feel right'. none of my notes in my test felt outta time to 'me'. but not all were placed exactly on the beat. anyway...enough of my post...this DOES need to be fixed ASAP!!! DIGIAVID we'd like our CS now pls!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 08-21-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
Or at all. Benoni hadn't actually done the test at all when he claimed that it wasn't happening (so I think you can thank him for your waste of time/money ). After he did the test... he found that in fact it WAS happening.
Well to be fair, you are referring to a different thread, and the way I have been using the 003R and Eleven Rack, there was/is no problem. After you asked me to look over this thread and do a specific test, then I saw the problem with the 003R BUT NOT THE ELEVEN RACK.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-21-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rqstudio View Post
I agree, for the "Standard of the Industry" to allow this is embarrassing! Everyone else has it, buck-up!
if this was HD it would of been fixed in a matter of hours insted of weeks

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-21-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
if this was HD it would of been fixed in a matter of hours insted of weeks
and the fact that it is NOT an OSX prob doesn't help our cause either

to add...there is 10-20 times the latency is W7 that there is in XP. and i wonder if this comin' into play also? there is a setting on GIGA mobos that if it is turned off will bring the latency back down to XP numbers..<10us. if anyone can remember the settin' and has a GIGA mobo to test this 'might' help shed some light also. i remember lookin' for it on my ASUS P5K and the settin' was not listed in my bios. man...i wish i could remember the name. damn, were's my gingko??

EDIT: i found it. it is HPET "High Precision Event Timer" in the BIOS. if someone with a GIGA mobo (Shawn i'm not lookin' at ya bro) could disable this to see if this has any bearin' with the timing issues it'd be great...probably doesn't but what the hell

EDIT: remembered that there is a software setting in system devices that allows one to disable HPET. i'll try it later to see if it matters.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff