Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 AM

Default Avid, something to consider here.

Avid,

With all due respect, your current approach is not working. You aren't making us customers feel satisfied with the amount of time it's taking to resolve the momentary freezing issues, as well as the "Out of Memory" errors. If you cannot figure out what the problem is, that's ok, but you need to be vocal about it. You need to communicate with us customers, let us know that you hear us and that you are working on the issue this week.

After I just now rebooted from the memory debacle, I launched PT10 back up and noticed that when I hit play, I get another error that there is a problem with my audio clock. This has happened off and on, more than once. I have a Lynx Aurora with an AES16 PCIe card. I haven't even done anything on my computer since the reboot except for launching Pro Tools 10, so how can this be an issue with my clock? Nothing even tried to use the Lynx before Pro Tools started. It can't possibly be a conflict with another program or device in my system.

I'm not asking how to work around this. I'll reboot (for the second time) and it will work again. What I'm asking you to do is acknowledge that there is a problem with the previously mentioned errors (memory and performance related). It shouldn't take until 10.0.5 to get things accomplished. I won't have any hair left by then because I will have pulled it all out. I don't think that spending time "making hacks" is a good use of your employees/resources in this time of need. You need everybody on board working together to fix these poor performance issues. You have 9 pages of people all having the same issues. Every time somebody has an issue due to your poor code, the first thing you do is shift the blame to our computers. That's adding insult to injury.

Because you have put so many of us through so much grief, the least you can do is tolerate this rant. You need to hear this. This is not me being a jerk. This is me putting my foot down and saying enough is enough. I'm tired of this nonsense. I need to get some work done and I can't with all these errors. Am I out of line here? Come on man. Get it together. Step up to the plate and deliver.

I've said my peace. Please, please get it together soon. Thank you.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Avid, something to consider here.

Good stuff.
My prejudices about Avid and PT were completely justified once I became a customer. Self-righteous, and thinks they are completely impervious to everything. Extremely over-bloated price for software that is no better than it's competitors, designed to only work on macs but not advertised as such, and zero support.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:32 AM

They got your money, why should they care?

Unfortunately, morality, good will and the desire to provide outstanding customer satisfaction are virtues rarely found in modern business. It's a shame, there are probably loads of people who work at avid who are really passionate about what they do and really want create a product that is without flaw for the customer. But the guys at the top probably couldn't care less whether or not people are experiencing major bugs with the stuff they churn out as long as they are getting a nice bonus. As with most businesses the people at the top are usually the ones who are the most clueless.

I too am getting really sick of these constant freezes and crashes, even more sick of being told that it's my/computers fault.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 PM

While it is true that AVID needs to be more supportive of their product, I want to point out a few things.

Macs are better supported because they have only a handful of configurations, all standardized, and the OS is designed to mitigate user error. PC has a practically unlimited number of possible configurations, and no software company can possible anticipate every user's setup.

I use PC myself, and I think AVID should be more helpful. But I think a lot of users should be realistic about what they are asking for
Old 02-28-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
While it is true that AVID needs to be more supportive of their product, I want to point out a few things.

Macs are better supported because they have only a handful of configurations, all standardized, and the OS is designed to mitigate user error. PC has a practically unlimited number of possible configurations, and no software company can possible anticipate every user's setup.

I use PC myself, and I think AVID should be more helpful. But I think a lot of users should be realistic about what they are asking for
How is it that it is always Pro tools and only Pro Tools? Be it a browser, media player, other DAW, standalone plugin or whatever it always is and always has been Pro Tools that causes problems. Whether I spend £400 on native or £20,000+ on HD, It should work, I am paying for it to work and I don't/won't except excuses!! I don't like Apple stuff because I want to use a computer how I want to use it, not how some all mighty being wants me to use it.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benherron.rrr View Post
How is it that it is always Pro tools and only Pro Tools? Be it a browser, media player, other DAW, standalone plugin or whatever it always is and always has been Pro Tools that causes problems
That's too bad, I feel your pain. I have experienced problems on all the DAWs I have used on this PC (Cubase, Record, Pro Tools, LIVE) and eventually, after looking through forums and trying different settings and fixes, got all of them to work.

In your case there might be an incompatibility that is purely AVID's fault. Then again, it may be something that can be fixed and you just have the misfortune of not having found the fix.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:03 PM

I moved on to S.O. v2. Now I create and no longer hate.