Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-07-2022, 03:16 AM

Default Re: You Know You Own Too Many Plugins When....

The old days were about have a room full of vintage and modern kit which cost an infinite mountain of money to buy and maintain.

Now we can save the planet with every laptop being like a Tardis with a vast chain of world-class studios inside for peanuts 🌍

Welcome to the future 🔮 Long live the past!

Stephen

P.S. Any know where I can park my laptop? It's freezing in here

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-07-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Ain't that the truth.

I think we're all insane. We should all by law only be allowed to use a dozen plugins, and then learn how to use them properly.
But I just know that 13th plugin would change everything and fix all my problems!
Old 12-07-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Ain't that the truth.

I think we're all insane. We should all by law only be allowed to use a dozen plugins, and then learn how to use them properly.
A bit insane, probably, yes, but to some degree this occurs because digital is constantly moving the chains toward the hardware we're accustomed to. Some of the plugin compressors I own are there because they're a different color than the rest, but many I've bought over the years are simply subtle sonic upgrades to what existed before.

That particular reason for purchasing has slowed down now that gains are minimal and it's getting tough to differentiate between digital and analog, so will plugin buying slow down with it? Not likely. It might be less about quality now that many plugs are on equal playing fields with hardware but I'm still constantly searching for creative new ways to twist and contort audio. That keeps the wallet coming out and I don't see that changing. And beyond that, musical styles change. Gotta keep up with the Joneses.

I wonder though... what if we did with audio what Lars von Trier & Friends attempted with Dogme 95 where filmmaking techniques were limited to the essentials. No visual effects, no audio trickery, no leaning on technology to make films. Concentrating on the classic methods of storytelling. So, limiting our use of plugins to a select few. What real effect would this have on our music? The sheer number of choices can ruin music, at least for me, so maybe limitations would have the opposite effect?
Old 12-07-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
A bit insane, probably, yes, but to some degree this occurs because digital is constantly moving the chains toward the hardware we're accustomed to. Some of the plugin compressors I own are there because they're a different color than the rest, but many I've bought over the years are simply subtle sonic upgrades to what existed before.

That particular reason for purchasing has slowed down now that gains are minimal and it's getting tough to differentiate between digital and analog, so will plugin buying slow down with it? Not likely. It might be less about quality now that many plugs are on equal playing fields with hardware but I'm still constantly searching for creative new ways to twist and contort audio. That keeps the wallet coming out and I don't see that changing. And beyond that, musical styles change. Gotta keep up with the Joneses.

I wonder though... what if we did with audio what Lars von Trier & Friends attempted with Dogme 95 where filmmaking techniques were limited to the essentials. No visual effects, no audio trickery, no leaning on technology to make films. Concentrating on the classic methods of storytelling. So, limiting our use of plugins to a select few. What real effect would this have on our music? The sheer number of choices can ruin music, at least for me, so maybe limitations would have the opposite effect?
Funny. I've been thinking the exact opposite thing; that the way plugins and virtual instruments are exploding in numbers and diversity, and also getting cheaper by the day, this must mean that young people starting out now, have an enormous box of tools to be creative with, and it's up to them now, to start shaping the future of music, no less. Who knows where this is leading.