Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio

Old 12-02-2022, 08:02 PM

Default Digital Pops

There was another thread that talked about this crackling when booting up, but I'm creating a new thread because this is a MUCH bigger issue than that.

It pops when turning on. Okay I can get past that....but it also pops when turning on my laptop (M1 MacBook Pro), opening Pro Tools, changing the playback engine, anytime you open a session that is in a different sample rate.

It's crazy but not surprising to me that this is happening. UA constantly upgrades their interfaces and comes out with new ones and I never had one problem with them. Early adopters shouldn't be guinea pigs.

I noticed on the other post someone said it was a noise they put in there and they would see if it could be muted... let me tell you 100% that is not the case. This is coming from my speakers. Not some soft internal click to let you know a task is happening.

I'll start a support case and see if this is a known issue and how soon it will be resolved...other wise its back to the Apollo I go.

Side note...there is so many awesome things about this that I will post about soon...just hate that I have to even have to mess with these small issues.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Digital Pops

I would have returned the unit by now, while you have that option/leverage. You can always repurchase one in future. Hopefully Avid can fix this which I hope they do quickly... but who knows, it might need a hardware spin, and Avid still has not fixed latency issues with Pro Tools Carbon and seems to have serious issues with HD Native and HDX cards going on at the moment. Worrying signals about support responsiveness/problems with hardware/interfaces new and old.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:11 PM

Hey Darryl. Yeah, I got it through Sweetwater and I'm just gonna go ahead and return it. I'm too nervous to keep it and have more problems down the road... or problems that require me to send it in.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:16 PM

I think that is a good call. Hopefully Avid gets this sorted, it’s got some innovative stuff, and Carbon has more. Which was all great to see, but it would be good to see Avid innovate without so many problems.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:33 AM

If you've red my posts about the digital pops, it was not just when turning on, it was also when opening PT and other audio apps. Booting or rebooting my mac etc.
And someone from Avid responded below my thread:

Quote:
This is part of the initialization process when you first boot MBOX Studio up so no need to troubleshoot. I'll look into in further and see if we have an option to mute it.

Thanks for the feedback.
JW
Old 12-04-2022, 08:28 AM
Avid

Hi all,

Just a quick message to say that we’re actively looking at the initialization and sample rate changing pop issues and expect to have them resolved. These are normal operating functions but they can typically be moved behind the scenes so they’re not audible to the user. I’ll report back once I have more info.

Something else to note as well, the Carbon team and MBOX Studio team are independent and separate so ongoing development on one won’t affect the other.

Best,
JW