Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2023, 03:57 AM

Default Genlock with HDn and Dolby Renderer

Hi there,

so I've now read some contradicting (and partially confusing) info about a setup running HDn, 8x8x8, SYNC HD all genlocked to video hardware with the Atmos renderer looped in.

#1: Dolby says the renderer uses the clock provided by PT if you set playback engine in PT to the dolby bridge and route all audio like that to the renderer and from there to the interface.
Problem is: PT ignores the genlocked clocking whenever the playback engine is NOT HDx so audio and video would be flywheeling just like an entirely un-clocked setup ingnoring the SYNC HD etc.

#2: Other people have recommended to stick to the HDn engine and use Aux I/O to the renderer and back into PT and then to the monitoring.

Question I have is (since AUX I/O has questionable clocking as far as I know): Will scenario #2 will at least maintain genlocked sync to picture when monitoring through the renderer? Or is a genlocked scenario only possible using an entirely separate second rig making is a choice between 99$ for just the renderer or 25000$ for a full blown HDX3 rig just to be able to work against picture 100% sync?
(or is there another setup I'm not aware of that would maintain 100% genlocked frame edge sync during playback?)

Many thanks!

Frank