Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2011, 07:47 AM

Question Avid Drivers Prevent Sleep - Why?

I found a page to download a utility, called "Digi Sleep Enabler" http://xmidi.com/digisleep.html

It states that "In Mac OS X, when a user selects 'SLEEP' from the Apple menu, the Mac enters into a state (called forced sleep mode) [...]
Before Mac OS X actually performs these tasks, it polls certain processes to determine if it's alright to go into forced sleep mode. System level processes (KEXTs to be specific) are allowed to veto such requests. When this happens, the system will not go into forced sleep mode but rather idle sleep mode (the monitor screen blacks).

Why do I mention all this? Because Digidesign implemented their Audio drivers in the form of a KEXT that will, indeed, veto the Mac's request to enter deep sleep.

The result of Digidesign's decision to veto all requests for forced sleep simply cripples Mac OS X. Users who frequently use SLEEP are now forced to forego the operation and SHUTDOWN/REBOOT instead. While this might not seem like such a severe tradeoff, it does impose on the usage patterns of Mac users. Simply put: Digidesign should not have the authority to cripple ANY features built into Mac OS X (or any other OS for that matter)."

Now here's something I've been thinking - If Avid condescendingly expects users to optimize their machines for Pro Tools anyway (where the first optimization is to set Computer Sleep to Never) - why would they cripple OS functionality, with potential energy wasting consequences? It's like deciding that, for their software alone, they have the right to tinker with OS features Mac users paid for, and that's like installing a root kit.

Avid, please issue a driver update to allow our Macs to go back to sleep again. This has been an issue for a long time, and it shouldn't help Pro Tools stability in any way - and even if it does, the solution is correctly DEBUGGING Pro Tools drivers, NOT disabling the sleep feature for everyone!

Stop developing software like we're your Beta testers. You have no right to decide which Mac features we can or can't use.
Mac Pro Quad 2.66, 20 GB RAM;
Audio/MIDI Hardware:
RME Fireface UC, M-Audio Keystation 88es + Akai LPK25 (USB);
Old 04-29-2011, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Avid Drivers Prevent Sleep - Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post
It's like deciding that, for their software alone, they have the right to tinker with OS features Mac users paid for, and that's like installing a root kit.
It is allowed in Apple's OS X implementation. This is nothing like installing a root kit.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz76 View Post
It is allowed in Apple's OS X implementation. This is nothing like installing a root kit.
Technically, but not ethically allowed - that's why no other DAW has the nerve (nor the need) to do such thing. All I'm saying is, Pro Tools is a DAW Application. Not a one-of-a-kind custom OS modification to turn your full-featured Mac into a crippled recording-only device

I'm just pushing for better standards for all of us, Avid users. Why did you have to counter my request for a feature we shouldn't be denied? Do you work for Avid?

I don't know about some of you guys, but I'm getting fed up with Avid's "half features" and "special treatment".
i.e. Power cycling rack hardware like the 003 on a daily basis is ridiculous, considering this is 2011 and the current technology is way ahead of this. That's why I'm selling it, and switching to a Focusrite interface.

I know audio people tend to be technologically impaired, or prefer to work with hand-wired tube gear instead of modern tech, but this is ridiculous. If other DAWs aren't doing it, then Avid has no excuse to be outdated.
Audio/MIDI Hardware:
Old 04-29-2011, 08:08 AM

Thumbs down Re: Avid Drivers Prevent Sleep - Why?

Quote:
I'm just pushing for better standards for all of us, Avid users. Why did you have to counter my request for a feature we shouldn't be denied? Do you work for Avid?
No. Do you work for Steinberg or Apple?

You are pushing for better standards for yourself. You do not speak for me.

Quote:
Technically, but not ethically allowed - that's why no other DAW has the nerve (nor the need) to do such thing. All I'm saying is, Pro Tools is a DAW Application. Not a one-of-a-kind custom OS modification to turn your full-featured Mac into a crippled recording-only device
Not ethically allowed? What are you talking about? It is in the implementation guidance.

When I run Pro Tools, I do not want a full-featured Mac. I want stability while using Pro Tools.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz76 View Post
When I run Pro Tools, I do not want a full-featured Mac. I want stability while using Pro Tools.
For the price you paid (for Mac + Pro Tools), you're a fool if you don't ask for both!
Audio/MIDI Hardware:
Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 AM

Wink Re: Avid Drivers Prevent Sleep - Why?

Quote:
For the price you paid (for Mac + Pro Tools), you're a fool if you don't ask for both!
I know nothing about Macs, only the fact that I bought an Imac cause I wanted stability in my DAW. I build custom PC's gaming rigs all the time. I even built one for PT, but Since I gathered all the info before I bought a MAC I knew it was strictly for my PT endeavors, and nothing else. Point is that it rocks with my PT and use it only for that. I have Other PC's that do everything else on, and it's a happy marriage. It's a well known statement that you should dedicate your PC or MAC only for audio. Ultimately stability is the name of the game.
But I can't stand the fact that on my 003 console volume knobs crackles when you turn it up or down in volume. I can't believe there's not a fix?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:48 AM

Some times you need to dumb the program down to the users level........

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-29-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Some times you need to dumb the program down to the users level........
But a "Professional DAW" should at least give you an option to change that in the settings :) . Righty-o?
Audio/MIDI Hardware:
Old 04-29-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
I know nothing about Macs, only the fact that I bought an Imac cause I wanted stability in my DAW. I build custom PC's gaming rigs all the time. I even built one for PT, but Since I gathered all the info before I bought a MAC I knew it was strictly for my PT endeavors, and nothing else. Point is that it rocks with my PT and use it only for that. I have Other PC's that do everything else on, and it's a happy marriage. It's a well known statement that you should dedicate your PC or MAC only for audio. Ultimately stability is the name of the game.
But I can't stand the fact that on my 003 console volume knobs crackles when you turn it up or down in volume. I can't believe there's not a fix?
I am obsessed with stability as much as we all are here - but I get a feeling that stability comes from our desperate attempts to configure and buy new equipment that will perfectly suit Avid's naturally unstable software/hardware - not from their efforts to build the most stable DAWHAHAHAHA couldn't say that with a straight face xD

It's hypocritical of Avid to TAKE AWAY a feature off the hardware/software WE BOUGHT in order to improve stability, considering we always have to configure that hardware to Avid specs.
1) Either take away ALL the features you need to make it rock-solid stable;
2) Or take away none and let us configure it ourselves.

As far as I can see by reading the DUC over years and years, when a customer's issue isn't caused by an untimely OS update or incompatible hardware or software, it's very usually due to Avid's neglect, and the answer is to tweak something in order for Avid's software to work better.

Avid has not behaved like a trustworthy team of developers - they have been condescending, arrogant fat cats who believe they can charge $500 per customer support call. And we're not stupid, we're industry professionals. We can tell when you're not doing your job, so don't pretend we can't do ours.
Audio/MIDI Hardware:
Old 04-29-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I am obsessed with stability as much as we all are here - but I get a feeling that stability comes from our desperate attempts to configure and buy new equipment that will perfectly suit Avid's naturally unstable software/hardware - not from their efforts to build the most stable DAWHAHAHAHA couldn't say that with a straight face xD

It's hypocritical of Avid to TAKE AWAY a feature off the hardware/software WE BOUGHT in order to improve stability, considering we always have to configure that hardware to Avid specs.
1) Either take away ALL the features you need to make it rock-solid stable;
2) Or take away none and let us configure it ourselves.

As far as I can see by reading the DUC over years and years, when a customer's issue isn't caused by an untimely OS update or incompatible hardware or software, it's very usually due to Avid's neglect, and the answer is to tweak something in order for Avid's software to work better.

Avid has not behaved like a trustworthy team of developers - they have been condescending, arrogant fat cats who believe they can charge $500 per customer support call. And we're not stupid, we're industry professionals. We can tell when you're not doing your job, so don't pretend we can't do ours.
I can concur with that for sure!, it's disheartening they can even consider charging customers that amount of money for support, (SIMPLY WRONG), just like my recent experience with my only two year old EVENT SP8's. With the known issues with the tweeters and amps failing, they want me to buy a tweeter for $70, knowing they will eventually fail again, or the amp capacitors frying. I don't think so. It's time to find another company that has a reliable product. Any reccommendations under a $1,000?