Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2010, 11:18 PM

Default Studio monitors from the 11R?

I'm changing up my home recording rig, and since I do everything through the Eleven Rack now, I want to get some small studio monitors for it, for a permanent setup.

I have some assumptions and a some questions:

I assume since many monitors have an XLR on the back, and since the "Main Output" of the Eleven Rack are XLR's, that means I can plug those types of studio monitors right into the Eleven Rack?

If so, do they need to be active monitors or can they be passive?

Also if so, how many watts is that built-in amplifier? You would think that would be on a specifications sheet somewhere, but I couldn't find it!

Lastly, does anyone have any particularly good recommendations for monitors? I would like to no break-the-bank, but want something that sounds pretty good. Any input appreciated, thanks...
Old 11-26-2010, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Studio monitors from the 11R?

Yes, you can plugin into main output with XLR speaker cable. Active and Passive monitor both are working with eleven rack. For passive monitor, you need power amp additionally.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 AM

I like active monitors as it keeps the amount of kit around the desk to a minimum. It also means the amplifiers in them are specifically designed to work with the speakers, so should be a good match.

Depending how much you want to spend, there are lots of good monitors available. I'd really recommend auditioning some to see which ones you like. You will be surprised how different they all sound.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:40 AM

Ahh ok, so the Eleven Rack doesn't actually amplify the signal, it just sends out the signal, so passive speakers wouldn't work.

One of the things I'm hoping to get right this time around is to get a "pure" version of the sound. In the past, I would listen through a home theater type amp, through headphones, and in the car stereo - and the same song would sound wildly different, like they were entirely different mixes. I would like to have a cleaner version of what the true sound is, so it will likely sound better in all of those settings.

Not sure if what I'm saying makes sense - if it does, is there a word or jargon for that? An amp and speakers that don't color the sound? I don't want EQ of any sort, I just want the unaffected sound, amplified.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:24 AM

^No I understand you, meaning you want a more balanced and neutral speaker to get the most untainted sound from the 11r. The higher quality speakers you get, and the more acoustically designed room you are in will give the best results. Obviously you get what you pay for with speakers, not everyone can afford high end genelecs or blue sky... :) I am currently looking at buying some KRK, Adam, or Mackies.

Btw are you the same drebin from the petrucciforum?
Old 11-26-2010, 02:57 AM

For the prices, I personnally love the Yamaha (HS50 or HS80) according to your budget and needs. The KRK are also great. I don't like the M-Audio personnally which tend to be too bassy.

Mesa Boogie IIC+ JVK Monster
Eleven Rack
EBMM Petrucci Variax
Dunlop GCB95Q
Ernie Ball Volume pedal VPJR6180
Old 11-26-2010, 02:58 AM

Haha - small world, yes, that's me!! I haven't been on there in a while (and also haven't played in a while either) - but I'm finally getting back into it again, and am actually dedicating a room in the house for recording this time... so it's like a first-class citizen now!

I might just head down to the Guitar Center and take a listen to some of these monitors, and also get a feel for how loud they are (or aren't). I don't mind spending some money, if it's like a one-time purchase, I would rather do it right.. Anywho - thanks again!
Old 11-26-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebin View Post
Ahh ok, so the Eleven Rack doesn't actually amplify the signal, it just sends out the signal, so passive speakers wouldn't work.

One of the things I'm hoping to get right this time around is to get a "pure" version of the sound. In the past, I would listen through a home theater type amp, through headphones, and in the car stereo - and the same song would sound wildly different, like they were entirely different mixes. I would like to have a cleaner version of what the true sound is, so it will likely sound better in all of those settings.

Not sure if what I'm saying makes sense - if it does, is there a word or jargon for that? An amp and speakers that don't color the sound? I don't want EQ of any sort, I just want the unaffected sound, amplified.
Yamaha NS10(passive monitor) is known for "if it sounds good on the NS10's, it will sound good on anything" but this legendary monitor is discontinue since 2001. What would be modern NS10? Well nobody really has clear answer for this topic yet.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:31 AM

Yes, this is one of the key differences between hifi speakers and studio monitors that I didn't understand at first: Hifi speakers are designed to flatter your music and make it sound exciting. Studio (near field) monitors are designed to truthfully tell you exactly what's going on in the mix, warts and all :)

I would think you'd find that most of them will go loud enough for general listening / playing unless you like it crazy loud or have a very big room.

For the record I have KRK RP6's and I really like them with the Eleven but there are lots of other good speakers available in that price range too. I found the Yamaha HS50's too light in the bass for my taste (the 80's were great but too big for my desk) It's totally personal taste / opinion though, which is why giving them a listen at Guitar Centre is a great idea....As I said, considering how they all advertise themselves as "neutral" you will be surprised at how different they all sound!
Old 11-26-2010, 07:21 AM

Also, whatever monitors you choose, check the hookups on the back. Most nowadays come with both xlr and 1/4 trs inputs. But some may have one or the other. You'll want to check that so you know what cables to buy: xlr to xlr, or xlr to trs.