Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-14-2008, 09:50 PM

Default My System Took a Dump! Thoughts?

Hi all,

I'm running a Mix3 system, OS 10.3.9, PT 6.4.1cs4, on a dual 1Ghz processor G4 with 1.5 gig of ram. Tonight I was working through a mix session when, with the system at idle (no playback, editing, processing, anything), both of my displays went to a solid pattern of tiny grey squares and the entire system froze--C24 went offline, the displays remained frozen, and no key commands had any effect. I had to turn off the system by holding the power button to shut it down. I unplugged the CPU and let it sit for a few minutes, but when I tried turning it on again, the CPU powered up and made the apple sound, but the displays never woke up. At first I thought it could be a video card issue, but I didn't think a vid card failure could lock a whole system up and freeze it, etc...

I opened the CPU case and turned the system on--my core and farm cards have a yellow LED lit at the end of the card closest to the back of the case. Not sure if that's a good thing, but everything seems to be seated properly and dust-free. Anyone have any ideas or experience in a situation like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

J

Update: I removed the vid card and switched it out with another I had on hand. Problem solved. Guess a bad vid card CAN make a whole system geek out.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:22 AM

Default Re: My System Took a Dump! Thoughts?

Hi,
A tip on video cards:

Using the old 32meg Nvidia AGP cards (which can drive 2 big monitors) or one similar to it, will yield best performance on these MIX systems, as the PCI bandwidth will be much less than a newer fast AGP video card.

I made this mistake a few years back when I put a nice 256 meg ATI AGP in there, and the PCI meter (in combination with my chassis) went through the roof. YMMV, Best Walt