Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-13-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Vista Business or Ultimate Only?

So an upgrade to Ultimate costs $250. That's not Digi's fault, but why isn't at least Home Premium supported? What's so special about the two supported versions over the other two?
Old 11-13-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Vista Business or Ultimate Only?

Nothing special about Buisness or Ultimate

Ultimate and Buisness have the most additional Windows features-which are the most likely cause of any problems with PT.

Ultimate is the equivalent of both Buisness and the dreaded Media Center Edition and should present the most problems-it's also very prevailent on high end consumer gear....And if your running a buisness you better be running Buisness Editition if its a commercial venture.

That leaves Home Premuim and Vista Basic in the cold. It's reasonably safe to assume that anything running Basic is not going to be well suited for Pro Tools. And both Buisness and Ultimate are going to have all of the components of Home Premium.

I'm willing to bet Home Pemium is just fine with PT-Basic however might be missing something as its supposedly pretty pared down.

If have something other than Buisness or Ultimate I would try PT and see how it runs before upgrading.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-13-2007, 08:10 AM

The comparison chart supports what you are saying:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ns/choose.mspx

I don't have any version yet, but want to upgrade - I"d sure like to know the rationale as to why only the two versions are supported.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 AM

I have Vista Home Premuim + PTLE 7.4 + Command|8 - no problems here.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:33 AM

Thanks beat - that's good to know!

Here's another more comprehensive comparison. Again, I don't see anything in this chart that would exclude Home Premium.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/wp-...11/upgrade.gif
Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
The comparison chart supports what you are saying:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ns/choose.mspx

I don't have any version yet, but want to upgrade - I"d sure like to know the rationale as to why only the two versions are supported.
Digi is actually a relatively small and lean company they don't always have the resources to teat every version of a software or every hardware platform. So they have to make some choices.

If the Buisness Software Alliance or one of Microsofts inspection teams shows up at your buisness from what I understand you better be using XP Pro or Vista Buisness in a commercial environment be it manufactoring, a partition farm or a recording studio. So approving Buisness is a must for Digi.

After that you look at the three Home versions and try to maximise your investment of time. I would think Ultimate would present the most challenges and is also more likely to be shipping on the type of hardware PT likes to run on. It also has all of the components of Home Premium and Basic.

I don't speak for Digi but I'm sure that their thinking must have been somewhat along the same lines.

Truthfully why not wait a couple of weeks and see how its running on the various versions?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 AM

I see your point sunburst -

7.3 is not only unsupported on Vista, but it just won't install on Vista. I wasn't sure if the same thing applied to 7.4 and Vista Home Prem.

And like Xp home and Pro - many software vendors chose only to support Pro - not because ti wouldn't run on home, but it's just playing it safe. Fewer variables in the mix when it came to troubleshooting. And it beats second guessing at what other underlying features there are in the various versions of the OS that only Microsoft may know about.

But what bothers me is that Digi rarely offers inforomation of explanations on things like this. AFter all, they DID when it comes to compatible approved systems - that they only support certain chipsets. That makes sense. And I"m still a little upset that I upgraded to 7.3 in September, not I have to pay another 50 for 7.4.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
And if your running a buisness you better be running Buisness Editition if its a commercial venture.
Wow - sunburst, you couldn't be further from the mark. Neither care what version you have installed unless it isn't properly licensed. And the BSA doesn't just "show up" unless you have HIGH volumes of both insider complaints AND potential license offenses. They usually start first with a series of "prove it" letters...

But the real issue probably is that testing on even a small number of platforms/configurations is VERY time intensive. So, while I agree that not including Home Premium in the list right now is disappointing (which btw, is the setup I am currently running just fine with PTLE 7.4), luckily we have this great group of users who try it anyway and report their results.

My assumption is that DIGI is a mac shop first, and windows second. Therefore I'm guessing (based on over a decade of software development experience) they set a few "lowest common denominators" in the PC realm with the intent to expand the "approved" list down the road.

In any case - I'm just trying to figure out if my 7.3 ignition pack and factory schwag will play nice with Vista. Any takers?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:24 AM

Do all versions of Vista support multiple cores and/or CPU's? I remember that XP Home doesnt.

That would have to be a big consideration in purchasing an OS these days.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:23 AM

Vista Home Premium - only multicore support, not multi CPU's.