Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-30-2022, 04:44 AM

Default weird midi editor behavior in 2022.4/groove cell not well implemented

Hi All,

Im having strange midi gui issues with 2022.4. In the midi editor, the up and down scroll bar and arrows are missing. this happens in both the main midi editor and the pop up midi editor.

Also noticing strange gui issues wth groove cell. not always showing the sample overview of loaded sample on a pad.

I have 580 gpu card so there should be any issues there...running mojave.

I'm very disappointed with groove cell. here is why:

1. no option to load groove cell with no preset samples loaded
2. no drag and drop features from the timeline, workspace or clips list
3. no way to access individual sounds to create custom kits or hybrid mix of your own samples and pre set samples
4. only 16 pads vs banks of pads.
5. no way to audition sounds directly within pro tools
6. strange velocity behavior. random velocity sensitivity. no way to select full velocity range...yet sometimes it is full range and other times it is not.
7. no dedicated mixer within the Groove cell plugin

Being honest, surely when they beta tested this they must have run it by working producers or beat makers. The above are pretty basic things and it is hard to imagine any of the above would be missing if Avid is actually serious about music creation within pt. Hope I dont offend anyone but I am very disappointed here.

I also find synth cell to be kinda blah. Nothing new nor outstanding...not sure of the point here. the air offerings are much better.

I was initially very excited for this release but it is turning into disappointment. As a hdx/ultimate user I'm finding it increasingly hard to justify the cost/benefit of remaining current. Avid is forgetting that many long time users already own the majority these bundled 3rd party plugins so it is hard to be excited about average and sparse new offerings. I know this sound like I'm a hater but I have been on pt since 2001 v5 and been loyal. I begrudgingly pay my yearly service contract but expect professional tools in exchange. this is really sub par to me.

sorry for a bit of the rant:)

ej

Last edited by ejsongs; 04-30-2022 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2022, 07:48 AM

Default Re: weird midi editor behavior in 2022.4/groove cell not well implemented

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
I'm very disappointed with groove cell…

I also find synth cell to be kinda blah…j
I have not tried groove cell yet, but I did give synth cell a try and I have to agree. The thing is, those two would have been great 20+ years ago, but you look at software nowadays like Omnisphere and XO and these two new instruments just seem so basic. It would have been such a better idea to try to partnership with Native Instruments, Air, Arturia, Xfer records, etc who are companies that are seasoned in these areas.

The lack of ability to drag WAV files from the timeline, clips list, etc is a real bummer. I don’t get how this was missed with AAX coding. Such a crucial feature.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-30-2022, 08:03 AM

Default Re: weird midi editor behavior in 2022.4/groove cell not well implemented

Quote:

Being honest, surely when they beta tested this they must have run it by working producers or beat makers. The above are pretty basic things and it is hard to imagine any of the above would be missing if Avid is actually serious about music creation within pt. Hope I dont offend anyone but I am very disappointed here.

ej
I guess you describe the whole problem with pro tools in this one paragraph. The user base that’s left doesn’t use this kind of plugins and hardly creates an instrument track other than perhaps something for a whoosh sound or drone pad in their post-mix for Dolby atmos

Producers that make electronic music, will have an headache within 5 minutes and move to another DAW.

So avid doesn’t get the feedback they need to improve on pro tools being a DAW for electronic music production as well because those guys are happily working in Logic, Studio1, Cubase and so on.
Pro tools also is the only only DAW on the market that has their delay compensation of midi-synced plugins and arpegiated VI patches not fixed. They only introduced side chain delay compensation in 2021…

Sometimes it feels like we (pro tools users) try to get airconditioning implemented in a horse-drawn carriage

Last edited by RobertDorn; 04-30-2022 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:48 AM

its just sad...pro tools is still king for mixing but it says a lot that things like this were missed by both corporate and their beta testers. Even their global new default of solo safe auxes is not such a great idea. It's great for post people and "some" mixers but not so much for creatives and producers. There is nothing more annoying than to be working on a mix of a section of a song and for unwanted instruments to be blaring out because something is solo safe and you have to figure out where it is coming from...especially when exporting stem with fx. What has been great about pt all of these years has been its flexibility. Making this a preference would be great but as a global default creates more work for some.

Hopefully they will see this thread. There are those of us who are pros that love pt for its stability and lowest latency but who also create with it, outside of tv and film... who are equally at home with what the younger gen is doing in other daws. I want pt to win but they have lost touch with those in the trenches for the markets they are now trying capture and remain relevant in.

They should have asked these types of people before jumping.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

Im having strange midi gui issues with 2022.4. In the midi editor, the up and down scroll bar and arrows are missing. this happens in both the main midi editor and the pop up midi editor.

Also noticing strange gui issues wth groove cell. not always showing the sample overview of loaded sample on a pad.

I have 580 gpu card so there should be any issues there...running mojave.

I'm very disappointed with groove cell. here is why:

1. no option to load groove cell with no preset samples loaded
2. no drag and drop features from the timeline, workspace or clips list
3. no way to access individual sounds to create custom kits or hybrid mix of your own samples and pre set samples
4. only 16 pads vs banks of pads.
5. no way to audition sounds directly within pro tools
6. strange velocity behavior. random velocity sensitivity. no way to select full velocity range...yet sometimes it is full range and other times it is not.
7. no dedicated mixer within the Groove cell plugin

I also find synth cell to be kinda blah. Nothing new nor outstanding...not sure of the point here. the air offerings are much better.

I was initially very excited for this release but it is turning into disappointment. As a hdx/ultimate user I'm finding it increasingly hard to justify the cost/benefit of remaining current. Avid is forgetting that many long time users already own the majority these bundled 3rd party plugins so it is hard to be excited about average and sparse new offerings. I know this sound like I'm a hater but I have been on pt since 2001 v5 and been loyal. I begrudgingly pay my yearly service contract but expect professional tools in exchange. this is really sub par to me.

sorry for a bit of the rant:)

ej
+1. I'm not offended at all. I've been posting about the lack of audition in the 'Virtual Instruments' section. I didn't proceed beyond that, because that is a serious show stopper in my book. Drag and drop only works for export (in Windows, at least). It seems to have lots of features but lacks MAJOR practical functions. How can anyone use a player that doesn't allow drag-drop/audition? No offense meant, but do the designers even use these things? Do they compare it with other usable software out there?
Old 04-30-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
How can anyone use a player that doesn't allow drag-drop/audition?
I don't know of a single AAX plug-in that allows drag-drop from the Edit Window or Clips List. I believe it is a limitation of AAX which is sad considering RTAS had it.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-30-2022, 08:05 PM

Default weird midi editor behavior in 2022.4/groove cell not well implemented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I don't know of a single AAX plug-in that allows drag-drop from the Edit Window or Clips List. I believe it is a limitation of AAX which is sad considering RTAS had it.

The user you quoted has a problem with drag and drop from the Finder/Explorer OS window and Groove Cell. Not sure why it’s not working as it’s touted as a feature.

Possible bug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 04-30-2022 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:11 PM

Battery, Geist, mpc, falcon structure all have librarian functionality that allows you to audition sounds from with in the plugin and monitor thru protools. With groove not only can you not audition 3rd party drums sounds, you can’t even create a custom kit of groove cells stock samples.

I pay for a support contract and updated for pro level tools…not dated toys…crap even garage band or any of the iOS app are better than this.