Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-07-2003, 01:04 PM

Default Drum OverHead Tips

Hi,

I was looking to see if anyone has any tricks or treats for drum overhead setups. I have two Condenser microphones with Cardiod polar patterns, so I can't point them down at the kit.

It is a 5 peice kit, the kick and snare are miked, and another problem is that the overheads pick up more snare than anything else, I want to pick up cymbals and toms but not as much snare.

Any help would be nice, thanks.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Drum OverHead Tips

Don't be precious about the symetry of your overheads. Position them where they pickup usefull balances of the kit that you can pan.

Try some other stereo techniques with your two condensers as well. Spaced or coincident pairs infront or behind the drummer can give very different results to overheads (as always hit the mono switch to check for phase cancellation).

There is always going to be lots of snare in your overheads so consider it part of your snare sound.

I really like AKG C451s for overheads. All the top end your ever going to need.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:53 PM

Don't be precious about the symetry of your overheads. Position them where they pickup usefull balances of the kit that you can pan.

Try some other stereo techniques with your two condensers as well. Spaced or coincident pairs infront or behind the drummer can give very different results to overheads (as always hit the mono switch to check for phase cancellation).

There is always going to be lots of snare in your overheads so consider it part of your snare sound.

I really like AKG C451s for overheads. All the top end your ever going to need.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:40 PM

Man I spent years trying to keep the kit out of my overheads and as I learned more I found that most pros get the most balanced complete sound they can from the OHs. So know I make sure that with OHs and kik I can go to mix. I still capture the other stuff and use it most of the time but, it really is the way to go if you want your stuff to sound like what you hear the majors doing. Plus mixing becomes a lot easier for me anyway. Use a sampler if you want the isolated sound.

D
Old 03-07-2003, 09:29 PM

The sound of a drumkit begins with overheads. Position them so you get the best overall sound of the entire kit. I find an x-y config directly in front of the dummers face and 18-24" above the top of his/her head gives about the best imaging of what the player hears, which IMHO is the ulitmate drum sound. keep them just out of stick reach.

Hope this is helpful.