Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-30-2021, 03:19 PM

Default Bounce help please....

I have recently upgraded to Komplete Ultimate, obviously a lot more CPU usage with sampled instruments. I am loosing quality when bouncing and wondered what is most desirable settings for :
Bit Depth/Sample Rate.....
Constant Bit Rate....
Any other tips??
cheers
Old 12-30-2021, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Bounce help please....

More info please.

Are you bouncing your final mix or individual parts? What settings are you currently using? What quality loss are you hearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2022, 04:28 PM

Thanks for reply, Bit depth is 24 Bit, Sample rate is 48khz. I have tried different Constant Bit Rates and found the best result from 128 Bits.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:31 PM

And yes full mix, and its sounds compressed, lacks clarity and the mix comes out different.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:59 PM

Default Bounce help please....

I’m going to assume when you say ‘128 bits’ you mean 128kb, which would imply you’re bouncing to mp3. If so, that’s why your mix sounds compressed - you’re bouncing to a compressed format. 128kb mp3 is pretty low. You’ll easily hear the loss of high frequencies and data compression at that bit rate.

Bounce your file to a lossless format like wav or aiff. If you need it in mp3 format, then choose CBR and bounce at 320kb. At that rate bit rate, it will be very close to a lossless file.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:12 PM

Thanks for help Sardi, did a bounce with Wav only, is better, but in this instance the riser at the start is louder than the rest of the mix in pro tools, in pro tools, I have it lower than rest of track. I can adjust the mix but a bit frustrating its not the same mix as the Pro tools session. I'll attach track, was one I pitched for a current affairs/news type request.
https://soundcloud.com/user-121784991/hyper-tension
Old 01-02-2022, 09:59 PM

This might not help but some more basic checking...

When you say "full mix" you mean you are using File>Bounce Mix. Not using Track>Bounce. Because this sounds like it could be a classic mistake of not rendering volume automation in a Track Bounce... and sometimes folks work stuff into a stem(s) and bounce that and might think of that a bouncing the "whole mix".

If using File>Bounce Mix what is the bounce souce? It's easy to pick that wrong, say have a headphone cue mix selected instead. Make sure that's the same physical output you are monitoring through Pro Tools with.

Are you bouncing real-time or offline? Try each way.

How exactly are you listening to the bounce? Importing back into Pro Tools? Some other app?

Any outboard hardware inserts?

Are you automating plugins? Sometimes you'll see issues with offline bounce and automation or just offline bounce and plugins in general.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebluesnz View Post
but in this instance the riser at the start is louder than the rest of the mix in pro tools, in pro tools, I have it lower than rest of track.
As Darryl points out, are you absolutely positive that all tracks in your session are being routed to the same outputs you’re selecting as your bounce source?

99% of the time, these things are typically operator error as opposed to a bug or fault of the software.

Triple check that everything is routed to the same output. If you’re bussing things, make sure that those busses are feeding the same master buss/fader and select that as the source when bouncing to disk.

Old 01-02-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Amake sure that those busses are feeding the same master buss/fader and select that as the source when bouncing to disk
^^ this.

Sometimes people make this stupid mistake of routing reverb straight to outputs and then wonder why reverb is missing from the bounce. Just an example.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:44 AM

Not sure this will help, but its still worth mentioning. A while back, I had a session that sounded great on playback but would not bounce correctly. After a day of fussing, I discovered the issue was a bus with the exact same name as my main outputs(I have no idea how that got created). Going thru the session, I found a few tracks that were feeding this rogue bus, instead of the main outputs. Somehow, playback was routing things so it sounded fine, but the BTD was missing the tracks that were assigned to the bus. Fixing those track outputs solved it(but each and every output had to be clicked on and verified)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave