Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-20-2021, 04:24 PM

Default MIDI Controllers Showing Up, But No Sound

I'm trying to connect x2 midi controllers into Pro Tools on Mac

Both devices correctly show up when I go to Setup > MIDI Input Devices. They are also registering notes in Pro Tools at the top.

However, when I go to use my VST (Kontakt) I hear nothing

Also, I have already clicked record on the track, and still nothing. Any tips?

Last edited by SpicyBoi; 11-20-2021 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:24 AM

Default Re: MIDI Controllers Showing Up, But No Sound

Not sure if Mac differs from Windows, but on a Windows setup, you need to go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. In that window, you create a new "instrument" for each hardware controller and set the crucial part by assigning the Input Path. This tells Pro Tools where to "look for" incoming midi info. If a keyboard connects via USB, then the input path would look something like "Roland on USB[Emulated]"(not sure what the emulated bit is about but I see it in many cases). If the controller connects with a midi cable to the interface, then it would look something like "Focusrite Midi in".

Other settings in that window include:
Brand and model(neither is required)
Midi Channel(which allows you to specify which channels a controller can use)
Output Path(only matters if you need to send midi out to a sound module)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-22-2021, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyBoi View Post
I'm trying to connect x2 midi controllers into Pro Tools on Mac

Both devices correctly show up when I go to Setup > MIDI Input Devices. They are also registering notes in Pro Tools at the top.

However, when I go to use my VST (Kontakt) I hear nothing

Also, I have already clicked record on the track, and still nothing. Any tips?
Your question isn't all that clear. When you say 'x2 MIDI controllers' do you mean 2 keyboards, 2 keyboards with controls or 2 controllers without keys? Have you installed any needed drivers? If they're class compliant then there's no need for drivers. Check that OSX audio/MIDI setup sees them. But it seems like PT is seeing them so the above is just here to keep things straight.

Are you trying to use the 2 keyboards at the same time on the same track? I've never tried that and don't know how PT handles that (if it can). Let's strip this down to one keyboard for the moment and go from there. First go to PT Prefs and the MIDI page. For 'Default Through Instrument' make sure that 'first selected MIDI track' is selected. Then insert the vi (PT does not use vst plugins but aax format) of choice on a stereo instrument track. Select a sound in the vi and play and you should hear something. If not in the view menu for the edit screen select instrument view and check that the MIDI routing is correct.

QAPLA!
Old 11-22-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

Are you trying to use the 2 keyboards at the same time on the same track? I've never tried that and don't know how PT handles that (if it can). Let's strip this down to one keyboard for the moment and go from there. First go to PT Prefs and the MIDI page. For 'Default Through Instrument' make sure that 'first selected MIDI track' is selected. Then insert the vi (PT does not use vst plugins but aax format) of choice on a stereo instrument track. Select a sound in the vi and play and you should hear something. If not in the view menu for the edit screen select instrument view and check that the MIDI routing is correct.
Yes you can use multiple controllers at the same time, as long as they are all configured as I described, and are set to their own midi channels. I ran a Yamaha Motif es8 on midi channels 2 thru 16(minus channel 10), a Roland TD-10 kit(on channel 10) and a 3rd keyboard on channel 1. I often would track piano(via the Motif), drums and organ(via the 3rd keyboard) all at once.

A little more info for those new to this: the term VST is often mistakenly used to refer to a virtual instrument plugin(VST is a Steinberg plugin format). VI is a more appropriate term for an instrument plugin. FWIW, my Preferences has the default midi instrument set to None(but this does require the track to be in record-ready for it to make sound). Showing "Instruments"(View menu>Mix window) is needed so you can assign controllers and midi channels for using multiple controllers together.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-22-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Yes you can use multiple controllers at the same time, as long as they are all configured as I described, and are set to their own midi channels. I ran a Yamaha Motif es8 on midi channels 2 thru 16(minus channel 10), a Roland TD-10 kit(on channel 10) and a 3rd keyboard on channel 1. I often would track piano(via the Motif), drums and organ(via the 3rd keyboard) all at once.

A little more info for those new to this: the term VST is often mistakenly used to refer to a virtual instrument plugin(VST is a Steinberg plugin format). VI is a more appropriate term for an instrument plugin. FWIW, my Preferences has the default midi instrument set to None(but this does require the track to be in record-ready for it to make sound). Showing "Instruments"(View menu>Mix window) is needed so you can assign controllers and midi channels for using multiple controllers together.
I understand all that about different channels for different tracks. What's not clear in the OP's post is he trying to use two controllers/keyboards on the same track or separate tracks? He only talks about not hearing anything from Kontakt (singular). I know Kontakt can host multiple instruments in one instance but they all have to be on different MIDI channels as you state.

QAPLA!
Old 11-22-2021, 09:41 AM

Unfortunately the OP is vague in his terminology and lacks helpful info
Like a system list for one ..
And ::
Like is he instantiating a VI on an instrument track
I think he means 2 midi controllers because he says "they" but hard to know for sure

And hard to tell what exactly "They are also registering notes in Pro Tools at the top" means ????
Does that mean able to input midi notes in the track edit window or midi edit window ???? OR is he calling registering a signal as "notes" ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-22-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Unfortunately the OP is vague in his terminology and lacks helpful info
Like a system list for one ..
And ::
Like is he instantiating a VI on an instrument track
I think he means 2 midi controllers because he says "they" but hard to know for sure

And hard to tell what exactly "They are also registering notes in Pro Tools at the top" means ????
Does that mean able to input midi notes in the track edit window or midi edit window ???? OR is he calling registering a signal as "notes" ?
His profile page shows he's on a 2017 MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.6 and PT 2021.10.0. That's all we know about his system.

QAPLA!
Old 11-22-2021, 11:25 AM

Welcome to the DUC, by the way, SpicyBoi.

Help Us Help You
Old 11-25-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
His profile page shows he's on a 2017 MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.6 and PT 2021.10.0. That's all we know about his system.
Ah got it , yes I don't tend to look up profiles for system info unless they are linked in the sig line like your's

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...