Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2010, 09:38 PM

Default Latency with expansion chassis

I'm still using the now unsupported Digi HD expansion chassis. It has always doubled the latency of my system, at whatever buffer setting. My question is, do the Magma chassis' also double latency? I'm approaching an upgrade and am trying to decide whether to get new PCIe cards or use my old ones in a Magma chassis. I hate the extra latency.

Thanks,

-R
Old 10-20-2010, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Latency with expansion chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
I'm still using the now unsupported Digi HD expansion chassis. It has always doubled the latency of my system, at whatever buffer setting. My question is, do the Magma chassis' also double latency? I'm approaching an upgrade and am trying to decide whether to get new PCIe cards or use my old ones in a Magma chassis. I hate the extra latency.

Thanks,

-R
Hi we had the same issue with the old expansion chassis -we're using the Magma one now and with PT8.0.4 the problem is with us no longer:)

Bruno
Old 10-20-2010, 10:29 PM

Are you dudes sure about this// isn't PT chassis just really a magma chassis with a PT logo on it.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepercentfree View Post
Are you dudes sure about this// isn't PT chassis just really a magma chassis with a PT logo on it.
I'm sure in our current set up the problem does not happen -The two chassis have a very different type of connection to the computer -they look different -and simply put one works and the other one has issues!

-don't take my word for it -check it out for yourself.

cheers

Bruno
Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepercentfree View Post
Hi,

The Digi expansion HD6 was made by Digidesign and did induce extra latency. This chassis is no longer supported and does not work beyond 8.0.1 it was an ethernet connection and the drivers are no longer in the software.

there were early chassis made by Magma with Digi branding. 13 slot and 7 slot and i'm not sure if they still work in the latest PT software!!!

The Magma PE6R4 does not induce any latency!! and rocks and should remain compatible for a few years yet.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:52 AM

Talking Re: Latency with expansion chassis

Quote:
there were early chassis made by Magma with Digi branding. 13 slot and 7 slot and i'm not sure if they still work in the latest PT software!!!

Ok cause i use to own a 13 slot digi chassis and they where for sure made by magma back then was surprised that digi actually starting making there own so was sceptic about it be-in done internally or it's someone else then magma doing them now // mine use to work super great with 1 mixcore 3 mixfarms, 2 dspfarms and 2 samplecell tdm.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:12 AM

Can anyone verify that the current Magma chassis do not introduce any additional latency, even with the PCI to PCIe conversion card?

-R
Old 10-21-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Can anyone verify that the current Magma chassis do not introduce any additional latency, even with the PCI to PCIe conversion card?

-R
PE6R4-I revA1 +PCI HDcards +Quad Core Intel Xeon PCIe MAC + PT8.04 =no extra latency due to chassis
Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 PM

Do you guys think seeing the recent developments from Avid that chassis solutions will be supported for much longer?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:51 PM

We run a 7 slot Magma chassis, it does not introduce ANY latency into the system. It runs seemlessly with PCIe cards, i would certainly reccomend the Magma chassis!