Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-02-2022, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Any benefit to TDM in 2021?

Just wondering if I can use my 96 TDM with Pro Tools 12 on Yosemite....?
Old 01-02-2022, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavianSound View Post
Just wondering if I can use my 96 TDM with Pro Tools 12 on Yosemite....?
Hi, welcome to the community.

No, TDM cards cannot be used past PT10
Old 01-09-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post
I still use PT10 HD with 192 I/O and two 96 I/O for tracking, but for tracking only.

Meanwhile I´m mostly working on Catalina (same machine, seperate SSD, RME USB-Interface, PT Ultimate, Logic X for Midi work).

I updated my Mac Pro to Open Core 0.72, so that it´s compatible with Catalina. Everything works very smooth. I think I will stay for the next 2 years on this system, at least. And then we´ll see ... maybe a M1-Mac Pro ;-)

Which RME usb interface are you using with PT Ultimate and how are you using it?
Old 01-09-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Which RME usb interface are you using with PT Ultimate and how are you using it?
How are you using an interface? You install the driver, plug the interface into the computer and turn it on, and select that interface as the playback engine in Pro Tools ???? I am not really sure what you are asking.

That you are asking this question may mean you are missing the big point. You can use any audio interfaces with Pro Tools standard or Ultimate. Has been that way since Pro Tools 9. All versions of Pro Tools support CoreAudio interfaces (on Mac) or ASIO interfaces (on Windows). Pro Tools Ultimate in addition to this also supports DigiLink interfaces when you add a HD Native (thunderbolt or card) or HDX card. And to use DigiLink interfaces you also need a DigiLink IO license (in addition to an Ultimate license), thanks Avid.

Unless you already have a HD Native or HDX card or want more than 64x64 IO (the artificial limit Avid imposes on Core Audio and ASIO interfaces on standard and ultimate) or want the reliable low/“no” latency monitoring through plugins on HDX then forget DigiLink and go get yourself a modern interface.

And if you are not using HD Native or HDX and you also don’t need the extra software features of Ultimate, like surround sound or advanced automation support, then just get Pro Tools standard and save significant costs.

If you tell us what your computer connection, feature, IO connectivity needs are any your budget then folks here can suggest interfaces for you to consider.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-09-2022 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:20 PM

Yeah, sorry..

Still find Pro Tools very confusing! I thought you had to have HD hardware to use PT Ultimate, but that is not the case!!! Sorry for (stupid) the question

Currently using Pro Tools HD 10.3.9 on a MacPro4,1 with macOS 10.8 with a Digidesign 96 I/O interface. (still looking for the HD 10.3.10 update

I really like my old setup, but recently I purchased most recent Pro Tools standard, because I'm having issues with OMF/AAF imports with PT10HD. So now have a work-around. I import OMF/AAF with PT2021 and open the saved session with PT10HD. crazy.
Also trying out new plugins doesnt work!
And I really like all the new PT features!

As I only need 6 line outputs on my audio interface, I think I'll make the switch to PT Ultimate with a Focusrite 18i20 or similar interface. Any other advice?

PT standard doesn't have all the functions I need, so that's why Ultimate for me:
-more tracks
-more voices
-Advanced audio editing
-Field recorder workflows
-Surround mixing
-Advanced automation
-More video tracks and editing
Old 01-09-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Still find Pro Tools very confusing! I thought you had to have HD hardware to use PT Ultimate
No. But you need to have Ultimate license to be able to use HD hardware.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No. But you need to have Ultimate license to be able to use HD hardware.
And a DigiLink license. I just *love* keeping saying that because it's so damn annoying to users. :-(
Old 01-09-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:

As I only need 6 line outputs on my audio interface, I think I'll make the switch to PT Ultimate with a Focusrite 18i20 or similar interface. Any other advice?

PT standard doesn't have all the functions I need, so that's why Ultimate for me:
-more tracks
-more voices
-Advanced audio editing
-Field recorder workflows
-Surround mixing
-Advanced automation
-More video tracks and editing
No problem, I wanted to understand your question to make sure you were getting answers that would help most.

All great reasons to use Ultimate! But yes you can just run with any ASIO or CoreAudio interface.

Focusrite make nice stuff at great prices, Motu make nice stuff at great prices. UAD make nice stuff at higher prices, but go there mostly if you want UAD plugins which I'm guessing you sure don't. RME since they were already mentioned makes nice stuff at higher prices and are my personal favorite brand. Super high quality drivers (but mostly that's an benefit for tracking at small IO buffers sizes and that's not an issue for you).

Just a guess you might want to look at monitor control capabilities in different interfaces? (Need to A/B stuff? Support stereo and 5.1? etc?). So might be worth looking at asking asking about. Much of other features in modern interfaces like hardware mixers is mostly aimed at tracking. Heck if I needed a surround sound/stereo monitor system and able to spend $$$. I'd look hard at a Grace Design 908.. not usually marketed as an "interface" and I don't use one... but I do use a Grace 920 as a stereo monitor/headphone controller hanging off a RME Fireface UFX+. Just love Grace stuff.

My other personal things is I just want/need several S/PDIF and or AES/EBU inputs and outputs on an interfaces. And I many manufacturers don't do that now. I ended up just running AES/EBU into stuff via a AES/EBU to MADI box. You might want AES/EBU or ADAT or MADI or DANTE etc. output for future digital monitoring connectivity. But hard to guess where the world is going and maybe easier to just spend less and be willing to upgrade in future if needed.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:23 AM

I have a few other options for an interface:
Second hand Mbox 3 Pro or RME fireface 400, or even digi 003.
Any thoughts compared to my current systeem?
Old 01-10-2022, 02:34 AM

Quote:
I have a few other options for an interface:
Second hand Mbox 3 Pro or RME fireface 400, or even digi 003.
Any thoughts compared to my current systeem?
Unless you have a very old computer, box3 and 003 is a bad idea.