Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 01-07-2022, 07:52 PM

Default How to create midi drums using Wav files

Hey all,

I've got some Wav audio files of all the individual drum sounds I want.
To create my drums for my tracks I've been putting the wav audio hits on separate tracks for each drum and creating beats that way.
However I haven't been able to find a way to humanise the wavs or utilise any velocity to make it sound more realistic.

Was wanting to know if there is any software or easy way to humanise the wavs or if I could input my wavs into an existing midi drum plugin.

Any feedback would be awesome. Thank you.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:06 PM

Default Re: How to create midi drums using Wav files

Hi, welcome to the community.

Perhaps I didn't fully catch your idea, but whatever the case there is no reason to do it manually nowadays. First try the masseyplugins.com free plugin and see if it suits you at all, then take a look at the paid options which are plenty. Almost e every plugin maker has a drum replacement tool.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:28 AM

cheers for the reply, I just want the wavs I have for every single hit to become the Midi instrument. as if I created my own kit within xpand or what not. Hope that makes sense. I'm completely attached to the wav files I have, I've got the perfect kit for me, but they are all individual wav files and want to make them midi.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
try the masseyplugins.com free plugin and see if it suits you at all.
Massey has DRT Drum Replacement Tool, but it's not free, and I don't think it's what McBeats is looking for, as it replaces the sounds on a recorded drum performance.

I would suggest, if you have a little money to spend, drop the manual laborious method with the wavs, and demo any of the many drum sample/sequencers out there, EZDrummer f.ex. Great samples, big midi library w/performances in many styles, very easy to use. It's $125, but there are cheaper options out there also.

Added: Oh, and some of them will allow you to add your own samples, I'm shure. Although most drum software today use multiple samples, soft-to-hard on each drum, to create a more natural sound.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:35 AM

There is no free demo? Sorry I didn't know if that is the case. Most of Massey's demos are not so crippled, but once you want to get rid of the limitations they are not so costly either.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
There is no free demo? Sorry I didn't know if that is the case. Most of Massey's demos are not so crippled, but once you want to get rid of the limitations they are not so costly either.
The plugin is not free, like you wrote. Have you ever heard of a paid plugin demo? Yes Massey's demos are very little crippled, like you can use them forever, no noise or drupouts, most have no saved settings as the only limitation. DRT, I don't know. He doesn't say on his site. It's Audiosuite only, so I guess he's had to find a different solution to limiting expired demos.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeats View Post
cheers for the reply, I just want the wavs I have for every single hit to become the Midi instrument. as if I created my own kit within xpand or what not. Hope that makes sense. I'm completely attached to the wav files I have, I've got the perfect kit for me, but they are all individual wav files and want to make them midi.
Sitala should suit you, then. And it's free. It has no sequencer, though. You must record the performance with a midi keyboard, like Xpand.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:11 AM

2 other options to consider:
#1-use the Melodyne Audio-to-Midi feature(assuming you on a recent version of PT and have some version of Melodyne 5 installed). For sure, there will be some "cleanup" to do, but it can convert audio to midi. If you duplicate the audio and chop up each track to remove all but the specific drum you want, that would help.

#2-Get Superior Drummer 3, which has a really good drum replacement feature. I dragged in the same stereo audio song file 3 times and set 1 to be kick, one to be snare and the 3rd to be hihat. Once it ran its analyze function, the results were shockingly good without any fussing(it would have taken some fussing to get a good final product, but all I needed was a drum beat without the other music that was baked into the audio file)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-08-2022, 08:15 AM

Dave, Janne; I think you are both missing the point. McBeat is not wanting drum replcement, he has some samples, and he wants to to be able to 'play' them.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:21 AM

SD3 is good, but I was just pointing out that it is beneficial to get used to drum replacement first with a free tool so OP would know if it is what he wants to do. Better paid options come later.