Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2021, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Apple MacBook Pro M1 Pro & M1 Max!

Btw, with today's announcement of PT 2021.10, video is now supported w/ M1 Macs. That's a major step -- those who need video can now use PT, albeit via Rosetta.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Btw, with today's announcement of PT 2021.10, video is now supported w/ M1 Macs. That's a major step -- those who need video can now use PT, albeit via Rosetta.
And HDX.

As predicted, basic functionality is finally achieved via Rosetta on M1. I still say it's going to be first quarter of 2022 for native support and Monterey support.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:37 AM

“Note: Video hardware is not supported at this time.”
Old 10-28-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That is why you need to backup and restore "such things" manually. MA is not needed anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been a Mac installer and consultant for 30 years. This clean install on every change is a time waster and likely prone to making errors on re-installation of everything. One either has WAY too much time on their hands or has a habit of installing extraneous software willy nilly on systems to use clean installs regularly.

Clone your startup drive with CCC. Migrate. If things don't work, then do a clean install and use the clone to manually bring back any data needed. In my experience doing hundreds of computers over the years, this has been required maybe 2-3 times.

My personal machine is a 2010 Mac Pro tower which has never had a clean install. It's been migrated from 10.6.x to 11.6.1 over 11 years. Startup Drive(s) has been cloned with CCC before every migration just incase but never needed except for hardware changes. I've gone from the original spinner, to larger HD's, to SSD's in the drive bay, to SSD on PCIe to the current M.2 NVMe on PCI, migrating along the way.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
And HDX.

As predicted, basic functionality is finally achieved via Rosetta on M1. I still say it's going to be first quarter of 2022 for native support and Monterey support.
Monterey should come quickly. As a few have mentioned (including myself), it's not so different from Big Sur, and Big Sur has been supported and tested in-the-field for quite a while. I was thinking summer of 2022 for M1 support but you could be right. The Apple lineup is increasingly M1-based and only heading that way, so there's pressure to get it done.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Monterey should come quickly. As a few have mentioned (including myself), it's not so different from Big Sur, and Big Sur has been supported and tested in-the-field for quite a while. I was thinking summer of 2022 for M1 support but you could be right. The Apple lineup is increasingly M1-based and only heading that way, so there's pressure to get it done.
I hope you are right on the Monterey support. I've got a new M1 MBP arriving this week. It is not my primary (or even secondary) PT machine, but I'd like to get PT running on it ASAP.

M1 native would be nice but not really needed as much as current OS support.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I have been a Mac installer and consultant for 30 years. This clean install on every change is a time waster and likely prone to making errors on re-installation of everything. One either has WAY too much time on their hands or has a habit of installing extraneous software willy nilly on systems to use clean installs regularly.

Clone your startup drive with CCC. Migrate. If things don't work, then do a clean install and use the clone to manually bring back any data needed. In my experience doing hundreds of computers over the years, this has been required maybe 2-3 times.

My personal machine is a 2010 Mac Pro tower which has never had a clean install. It's been migrated from 10.6.x to 11.6.1 over 11 years. Startup Drive(s) has been cloned with CCC before every migration just incase but never needed except for hardware changes. I've gone from the original spinner, to larger HD's, to SSD's in the drive bay, to SSD on PCIe to the current M.2 NVMe on PCI, migrating along the way.
Exactly my opinion. I have over 1700 plugins
Old 10-28-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I have been a Mac installer and consultant for 30 years.
Hats off.

However any experience of legacy Mac OS does not count in this case. OSX is UNIX and your experience starts from 2001 just as anyone else. But being around so long you have first experienced transition from 68k to PPC, then PPC to Intel, and now Intel to Apple Silicon. That is something.

I have however been troubleshooting PT systems just as long, and one thing I can say is any random trouble has a root cause in making automatic migration or in-situ upgrade. Challenge my opinion or not, we both have right to our own.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hats off.

However any experience of legacy Mac OS does not count in this case. OSX is UNIX and your experience starts from 2001 just as anyone else. But being around so long you have first experienced transition from 68k to PPC, then PPC to Intel, and now Intel to Apple Silicon. That is something.

I have however been troubleshooting PT systems just as long, and one thing I can say is any random trouble has a root cause in making automatic migration or in-situ upgrade. Challenge my opinion or not, we both have right to our own.
All good. I'm not challenging anyone in particular, just offering an alternative approach. If a system is running trouble free before an upgrade and you've ensured that all installed software is compatible with the new destination OS, it really can't hurt to do a CCC clone and try a migration first. If you have issues, then go the clean install route. If no issues, you're done and back in business ASAP. If you are supporting a lot of machines, you will save you and your clients time and $ in the end.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
All good. I'm not challenging anyone in particular, just offering an alternative approach. If a system is running trouble free before an upgrade and you've ensured that all installed software is compatible with the new destination OS, it really can't hurt to do a CCC clone and try a migration first. If you have issues, then go the clean install route. If no issues, you're done and back in business ASAP. If you are supporting a lot of machines, you will save you and your clients time and $ in the end.
When I moved my 2012 cheesegrater to High Sierra from Sierra I tried the Apple Way just for grins and had so many weird issues I ended up doing a clean install of everything. Thankfully I have all my installers on a separate drive.

QAPLA!