Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-21-2021, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Monitors in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccam View Post
Hi Everyone,

I did a search for this but there didn't seem to be anything recent.

I'm wondering what monitors people are using for their home (premix) studios?

In the past I've done mostly commercial work and lower budget films but I did some work for HBO in Atmos and it has me thinking of moving in that direction. My thought was to upgrade my 5.1 monitoring system to something that could be expanded to Atmos. Obviously the idea is to have a setup where the mixes translate — to a stage, if needed — but could possibly also allow for Dolby certification down the road.

My room is mid-sized and I'm currently using Focal CMS 65s in the front and CMS 50s in the rear with a Dynaudio sub. I like the Focals but I don't know if they'd qualify as being full-range speakers (though I can't remember what the strict qualifier is for that)... they're pretty bass-light.

I'm not overly concerned about price... I'd like to try out some different options at several price points.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
If you decide to get rid of your Focal's let me know. Looking for another setup for a small mix room
Imdb
Facebook
Old 05-08-2021, 03:16 PM

Geez, I totally missed all these replies. Thanks everyone.

When I said the Genelec Ones I did mean the 8331/8341/8351, which are definitely not consumer monitors.

The shortlist is much appreciated. I'm going to try and get a few in to try out and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Ryan
Old 08-02-2021, 07:39 AM

I built a new Dolby Atmos room lately, and did a very long shootout with Genelec "the ones" and Amphion. Worked over a month with both of them side by side (in stereo). I Have also Barefoots in my other room, and I have worked with Neumann, 1000-series Genelecs and Dynaudios before)

A guy from Genelec even came by and calibrated the monitors in my room. Amphions didn't have any calibration eq on them. Still, I preferred every aspect of Amphions over the Genelecs. I mixed faster, the results translated better, my ears hurt way less after a long day, and I smiled a LOT more while mixing!

So my new 7.2.4 setup is now all Amphion, and I am literally in heaven! These things are stunning, and as they are not too well known in audio post world (yet), I almost feel like they are my secret weapon. :) If you have a change to check them out, do...
Old 08-02-2021, 07:45 AM

Maybe if you go from one studio to another all this comes down to what is popular in your area. Genelecs are the king here, they are everywhere. So if you have them and go to another studio that has them, you do not need to worry about difference of speakers, only that each room is slightly different obviously.

As I already said, I am biased. Genelecs all the way for me (and most places in Finland).
Old 08-02-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Maybe if you go from one studio to another all this comes down to what is popular in your area. Genelecs are the king here, they are everywhere. So if you have them and go to another studio that has them, you do not need to worry about difference of speakers, only that each room is slightly different obviously.

As I already said, I am biased. Genelecs all the way for me (and most places in Finland).
Maybe so. Fortunately I didn't have to think about sounding like other rooms in the area since we don't rent our room out. I was able to focus on building the best possible working environment for us (mostly for myself).
Old 08-02-2021, 01:34 PM

I have Amphion Two18s as my main mixing speakers for when I do music, which is about 50% of my business. I'd definitely consider going that route, however, the thought of having a rack of amps is a bit of drag. Haha!

In the end, I stuck with my Focals, mainly because I know them and the cost to expand my 5.1 system just made more sense for the time-being. In the long run I'd probably go with JBLs but, admittedly, having all Amphion sounds appealing.

@Protone — what speaker configuration did you go with? I appreciate that Amphion have a lot of options.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:49 PM

Amphion is finnish made also. In here we consider Genelecs more of precision monitors and Amphions a "feel-good" speakers. Both sound nice in their own way, but way different.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:58 AM

Quote:
I have Amphion Two18s as my main mixing speakers for when I do music, which is about 50% of my business. I'd definitely consider going that route, however, the thought of having a rack of amps is a bit of drag. Haha!

In the end, I stuck with my Focals, mainly because I know them and the cost to expand my 5.1 system just made more sense for the time-being. In the long run I'd probably go with JBLs but, admittedly, having all Amphion sounds appealing.

@Protone — what speaker configuration did you go with? I appreciate that Amphion have a lot of options.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNyOlR5DIxu/

I have Two18 for LCR, One18 for surrounds and One12 for top. BaseTwo25's hidden below L and R for both bass management and LFE. My room height is at the low end of Atmos specs, and One12's were perfect match for the top channels. The sound field is amazingly uniform, despite top speakers being significantly smaller in size. The whole system is driven by Amphion amps, and controlled by MTRX+SPQ-card. About the "rack of amps" you mentioned, Amphion has 8ch amp coming up, and I was lucky enough to get one of the early builds!
Old 08-03-2021, 07:27 PM

That looks great @Protone. I guess you recessed your top speakers to help make up for the ceiling height? Smart.

That’s very interesting about the 8-channel Amphion amp. It must weight a ton. Haha!
Old 08-04-2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
That looks great @Protone. I guess you recessed your top speakers to help make up for the ceiling height? Smart.

That’s very interesting about the 8-channel Amphion amp. It must weight a ton. Haha!
Thanks! Yeah, the raw space was a bit lower than ideal, and we had to make good use of what we had.

The 8-channel amp is actually not that heavy. I’d say less than twice the weight of amp700 (which I have for L+R)