Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 01-19-2021, 12:38 AM

Default My two USB controllers are not playing nice with each other.

Greetings,

I'm new to this forum and hope I have placed this in the correct area.

I am running PT 2020.11 on Windows 10 (v2004. And run as Admin).
And, my issue is with my two USB controllers.

I have a Presonus Faderport v2. It works great when used by itself.
I also brought out my old M-Audio Radium 49 keyboard controller. And, even though the latest driver is for win7, it also works great by itself.

But, when I try to use them at the same time, PT gets pop up windows stating it cannot communicate with each device. Yet, the keyboard controller would still operate instrument plugins, but my Faderport stops working properly. Its fader encoder somehow gets assigned to the Master fader in the session, being properly controlled by the Faderport...but that's it. And, when I'm not touching anything, I get a stuck note that I did not create (sounds like the lowest note available).

*My Windows Device manager show no conflicts or errors.
*PT recognizes each device in the MIDI controller settings page.
*FaderPort is self powered by AC and is on its own physical USB port.
*Radium 49 is USB powered via an Insignia USB3.0 hub (Trackball mouse is only other device in the hub).

Is it possible my keyboard controller is too old, and I need a new one with Win10 driver support? Or, am I missing something in my PT setup?

Would someone be able to steer me in the right direction on where to start troubleshooting this?

Thank you so much,
Steve

Lenovo legion 5 15IMH05H (Intel i7 [6 core - 12 Thread] @ 4.80GHz, 16GB Ram, SSD 500GB, HDD 1TB, Nvidia Geforce GTX [6GB GPU])
Win 10 Home v2004
Pro Tools 2020.11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 IO
Presonus Faderport v2
Old 01-19-2021, 01:28 AM

Default Re: My two USB controllers are not playing nice with each other.

I have a faderport and have no problems with my axiom. Im guessing you’re setting up both the faderport and the radium as hui controllers. Don’t. Only use the faderport as a hui controller leaving the radium to be used strictly for playing your midi VIs.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-20-2021, 02:25 AM

Top Jimmy, thank you for your reply. Yes, I did not assign both controllers as HUI.

First attempt = Setting up both under Setup/Peripherals/MIDI Controllers page. Faderport is #1 - Type set to HUI, Recv/Send set to PreSnsFP2. Radium 49 is #2 - Type set to M-Audio Keyboard, Recv/Send set to LegacyKbrd. Doing it this way does not work.

Second attempt = Setting up only Faderport under Setup/Peripherals/MIDI Controllers page. Faderport is #1 - Type set to HUI, Recv/Send set to PreSnsFP2. Radium 49 is now set up under Setup/MIDI/MIDI Studio Setup. Manufacturer set to Generic MIDI. Model set to Generic MIDI. In/Out ports set to LegacyKbrd. Send/Recv channels set to ch16 (Radium 49 set to ch16 as well). Doing it this way does not work either, but the Play/Stop buttons work on the Faderport. And its Prev/Next buttons could only change between my Click track and channel 2 on the mixer - weird.

Well, that's what I got so far.

Thank you for your help,
Steve

Lenovo legion 5 15IMH05H (Intel i7 [6 core - 12 Thread] @ 4.80GHz, 16GB Ram, SSD 500GB, HDD 1TB, Nvidia Geforce GTX [6GB GPU])
Win 10 Home v2004
Pro Tools 2020.11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 IO
Presonus Faderport v2
Old 04-08-2021, 04:57 PM

Hmmm, here's what I'd look at:

"Second attempt = Setting up only Faderport under Setup/Peripherals/MIDI Controllers page. Faderport is #1 - Type set to HUI, Recv/Send set to PreSnsFP2.....Play/Stop buttons work on the Faderport. And its Prev/Next buttons could only change between my Click track and channel 2 on the mixer - weird"
This should be correct, but you left out the 3rd item after the send and rcv ports. That box should be set to 8(thinking maybe you have it set for 2)

"Radium 49 is now set up under Setup/MIDI/MIDI Studio Setup. Manufacturer set to Generic MIDI. Model set to Generic MIDI. In/Out ports set to LegacyKbrd. Send/Recv channels set to ch16 (Radium 49 set to ch16 as well)."
This is the correct place for proper setup, but I'm not sure you have the correct settings. In and Out ports(assuming the Radium is connected via USB) should probably look something like "Radium 49 USB[Emulated]". Send/Recv channels should be all ON(all channels in blue) for send. Recv probably doesn't matter as you won't be sending midi data back to the Radium. Lastly, I would set the Radium to OMNI or ALL midi channels if you can. If you can't, then I would set to use midi channel 1.

Last thing to check: Under the VIEW menu, hit MIX windows shows>Instrument(so Instrument has a check mark). This will add a row across the top of the MIX window showing you(on Instrument tracks) what source Pro Tools is looking at for midi data(signal from the Radium), as well as what VI plugin it should be feeding(for a new Instrument track with a freshly-added plugin, it will usually make the proper connection by default. But if you maybe changed your mind and deleted 1 plugin and then added a new one, the assignment may need to be manually set). Also, put the Instrument track into Record-ready or it may not make any sound when playing the keyboard

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave