Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 04-01-2021, 10:48 AM

Default 192 on tracks 25-32 No Sound On input

Running PT10 w/ 1core and 2 accels

LED's light up on front panel but signal will not pass to outputs regardless of how I configure, (even to another 192). Output LED's do not light and does not show up in pro tools. All other channels working perfectly. This is a new problem with this 192.

Pre recorded audio in pro tools plays thru outputs on channels 25-32.

Attempts to diagnose:
Checked all cables, configuration and cables.

Cleaned internal ribbon cable.

192 "identified" in Hardware window.
Ran DIGItest- All cards good, 192 in question not recognized.

Switched out input card.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could the 192 itself be the problem and is there a fix?
Old 04-01-2021, 12:28 PM

Default Re: 192 on tracks 25-32 No Sound On input

Hmm, Need more info:
1-how familiar are you with configuring the digital IO?
2-So you have 2 units? What cards are in use(digital or analog)?
3-Have you tested each 192 by itself?
4-When both are connected, do you have Loop Sync cables correctly connected?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-01-2021, 02:33 PM

Thank you for your reply and your help. I will answer your questions below:

There are 3 and the 3rd 192 has worked till now.

All cards and loop sync cables in all three 192's are configured correctly.

I swapped the input card because some of the channels were making noise and when I pasted audio into channels 25-32 the output card plays normally in pro tools.

I recently got a hearback system that requires switching the outputs to digital while using the 'lightpipe' so I have been switching back and forth from analog to digital on these channels. I would suspect this but then why does digitest Not See the 3rd 192 at the primary port attached to the first accel card as it should be with three 192's running 32 tracks?

Though I'm capable, I agree that I don't want to start testing voltages and go 'down the rabbit hole' on this thing.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2021, 10:51 AM

As Darryl said, I also suspect a bad 192. My thoughts:

1-Until Digitest recognizes all 3 192's, audio is not going to pass

2-What happens if you connect a 192 to the CORE card, the second 192 to the first Accel card? If that setup recognizes both 192's, then disconnect the second 192 and connect the 3rd 192. If that one still is not recognized, its must have a problem.

3-since you were inside of it, you may need to open it up again and check all connection, as well as tell us which IO cards are in which slots

4-troubleshooting is a skill that not everyone has, so its best to break things down to the minimum and then build back up slowly. With that in mind, I would test each single 192, connected to the CORE card(disconnect everything else). Once all 3 of them are known to work, THEN move on to connecting 2 or 3. I know this is tedious, but its also methodical, and that is the best approach to troubleshooting

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-07-2021, 06:43 AM

Hi Dave and everyone,
Thanks for your advice. Dave .. I was hoping that this would be a quick fix or diagnosis but your right, the only thing to do is methodically troubleshoot by switching out the components. I really appreciate your step-by-step instructions.
I'm going in today and the first thing I'll do is clean the ribbon connectors in the 192. (I have already cleaned the connectors going to the I/O cards but not the other end).

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks
Old 04-07-2021, 07:00 AM

It is not so hard to troubleshoot as you have already found one block of 8 inputs is not functioning.

What you need to do first is disconnect any other interfaces but leave one of those you "know" is working properly on all inputs. Only that single interface connected to core card. Then swap that "faulty" input card to the "working" chassis and see if that card can or cannot get signal. If it can, it is working. If it cannot, you found your culprit.

Now if it somehow can pass the signal, do the opposite. Insert the previously working input card to the chassis that was malfunctioning and again only connect that one interface to core card. If the previously working card is not working in the previously malfunctioning chassis you have proved that chassis has a problem.

Those are old boxes. Some of the problems may go away when you clean the internal connectors with industrial alcohol. If not, replacement 2nd hand boxes are not so expensive anymore.