Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 05-07-2021, 01:41 AM

Default Avid S6 on separate network?

I'm trying to sort out some issues in a Dolby Atmos mixing room. Long story short, we have been advised to separate the S6 on its own network. As of now, the S6 MTM provides DHCP from Port 2 to all devices on the network which consist of 3 Macs running Pro Tools (2 players and 1 recorder), a MADI switcher, DAD AX32 and the Dolby RMU, in addition to the 14 or so modules in the S6 frame. I'm not sure how to separate the S6 network the correct way. Can I just buy a router to provide DHCP to everything besides the S6, and connect the S6 to a separate NIC on the Macs? If so, how would I configure the network control panel settings for the NIC used for connecting to the S6?

Stein Tore
Old 05-07-2021, 05:07 AM
Avid

Default Re: Avid S6 on separate network?

Greetings,

Once you span into serving multiple workstations plus MTRX / AX32 I would highly recommend procuring a qualified external router instead of relying on the console DHCP server to feed addresses. If for some reason the console needs to go down or be restarted, your AX32 and RMU are going to lose IP's which is not ideal. Here are the specific models that we recommend:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Compatibility

Secondly, yes you can start to add additional networks based on your use case for EUCON, IP Audio, Shared Storage, etc. Even if the EUCON network is independent of the AX32 / IP Audio network - DADman and your monitor profile will still be visible to the monitor section of the console.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-07-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings,

Once you span into serving multiple workstations plus MTRX / AX32 I would highly recommend procuring a qualified external router instead of relying on the console DHCP server to feed addresses. If for some reason the console needs to go down or be restarted, your AX32 and RMU are going to lose IP's which is not ideal. Here are the specific models that we recommend:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Compatibility

Secondly, yes you can start to add additional networks based on your use case for EUCON, IP Audio, Shared Storage, etc. Even if the EUCON network is independent of the AX32 / IP Audio network - DADman and your monitor profile will still be visible to the monitor section of the console.

best,

Jeff
Thanks a lot, I will suggest this to the owners. Just to make things clear; are you suggesting we should use and external router for the S6/Eucon network as well, and an additional external router for the other network(s), or would it be OK to use the MTM router for the S6/Eucon network and an external router for the other network(s)? Sorry if I'm not wording myself correct, configuring routers are a bit out of my comfort zone and I will certainly get someone more qualified to do the install and configuration, but I would like to know enough to oversee the process and make sure it complies with best practice when it comes to the Eucon part.

Thanks,
Stein Tore
Old 05-07-2021, 07:42 AM
Avid

Yes, it is best practices to isolate EUCON from other networks like Dante IP and LAN which may have higher traffic with file transfers.

There are several ways to approach this. You could keep the S6 / EUCON network separate on its own workstation NIC and still use the DHCP server from the Master Module, then have a router for AX32 Management + IP Audio for example. You could also have two independent routers - one of EUCON and one for Dante -> both connected to different NICs on the workstation. You could also setup VLANS for each of the different networking tasks within the room / facility.

While it is possible to simply dump all EUCON, DADman, Dante + file transfers onto the same network it is not recommended.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-07-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Yes, it is best practices to isolate EUCON from other networks like Dante IP and LAN which may have higher traffic with file transfers.

There are several ways to approach this. You could keep the S6 / EUCON network separate on its own workstation NIC and still use the DHCP server from the Master Module, then have a router for AX32 Management + IP Audio for example. You could also have two independent routers - one of EUCON and one for Dante -> both connected to different NICs on the workstation. You could also setup VLANS for each of the different networking tasks within the room / facility.

While it is possible to simply dump all EUCON, DADman, Dante + file transfers onto the same network it is not recommended.

best,

Jeff
Sorry to hijack but on this same topic -- Jeff, if you have a single workstation - in this case a new Mac Pro with 2 GbE ports. If 1 GbE port is for internet and the 2nd one is to the S6 with the S6 acting as DHCP for that network and all the modules, that's a recommended/supported way of working right?
Old 05-07-2021, 07:24 PM
Avid

Yes, that will work just fine.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ