Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-25-2022, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Big Sur Update - Graphics lag and can't reorder tracks

Just jumping in to say that I'm having the same laggy graphics issues that everyone else here is describing after upgrading my Mac Pro 7,1 to Big Sur from Catalina.

It seriously feels like I'm back to using my 2010 Mac tower in it's last year of use.

I see this thread started over a year ago and here we are with absolutely zero response from Avid and no fix whatsoever other than a totally clean install of the OS or rolling back to an odd combination of new HD driver and old PT.

This is such ********.

I was hoping just going all the way to Monterey would solve this but it sounds like some of you are having other issues with Monterey yea?

Might just wait until I have a free day to try to roll back to Catalina but that's obviously not a quick process...
Old 05-25-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilyG View Post
I was hoping just going all the way to Monterey would solve this but it sounds like some of you are having other issues with Monterey yea?
Not me. Monterey has been great. One of the better OSs in recent memory. No OS is perfect, but I'm a fan so far. Let's hope Apple continues making improvements.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Not me. Monterey has been great. One of the better OSs in recent memory. No OS is perfect, but I'm a fan so far. Let's hope Apple continues making improvements.
May I ask what GPU you are using along with Monterey? I am beginning to suspect this is a Radeon problem, probably with the drivers and the way PT interacts with them. You are saying you do not experience the ghosting issue when resizing tracks via mouse drag in the edit window?

I emailed Avid telling them about the issues and I got this response:

"1.) Graphical glitches when resizing tracks via mouse dragging"
We have logged this bug and will be under fix.

"2.) The playhead is now white in classic UI view whereas is was normally black."
The team is working on an optimization for this too.

Then of course they linked me to the "OS Optimization" page for the slow UI issues, which all were already done.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:30 PM

AMD Firepro D500. I don't think this is considered a great card, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not at least partially responsible for the sloppiness of some visual activities.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:48 AM

I suspect some of my issues might be that I'm using a 3rd party Radeon 5700XT in my rig and it probably needs a firmware update, which I might try to do via the Bootcamp partition on my Mac Pro. Apple sold this exact card as an upgrade for 3x the price just built into their fancy "MPX Module" so I just bought an aftermarket Sapphire card that worked fine up until Catalina.

I also might try putting in the stock card that came with my Mac Pro but I doubt this is a Radeon issue because the cards that ship with the Mac Pro's are Radeons.

Also, I think I'm going to try Monterey as several people here and other engineers outside of this thread have said they're rocking on Monterey with PT so maybe that will help. Just gotta be sure my Time Machine is backed up before I do it so I can roll back if need be....
Old 06-03-2022, 11:11 AM

So I went ahead and upgraded to Monterey and everything is working much better for me.

Still some random graphical glitches here and there and PT still feels a bit laggier than I'd like but it's hard for me to say if it's better or worse than Catalina was.

Anyhow, might not work for everyone but Monterey is working great for me.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:39 PM

Glad to hear that.

I'm still seeing some issues with beach balls but graphics are generally ok.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:32 AM

Ok so scratch that, as soon as I started working on a fresh project prepping new mixes from scratch, the lagginess and general slowness has returned.

I'm on 2022.5 and MacOS 12.4 on a 16 core mac pro, what the hell is going on Avid???
Old 06-10-2022, 01:16 AM

I'm a bit late to this thread.

I'm having these exact issues on my Big Sur 11.6.6 system, black blocks when scrolling around the timeline and serious lag. I'm about to roll back to Catalina but if it's a PT issue will it still have the same problem unless you roll back to an earlier PT version?

Thanks for all your previous posts on this, it's been driving me crazy.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:32 AM

Hey all,
So 2022.6 seems to have fixed most of these issues for me in Monterey!

There's still some sluggishness here and there, for example copying sends still kind of feels "Sticky" where it takes a second each time I option-drag a send before it appears under my cursor.

But overall Pro Tools is running much much smoother. No more random black boxes in the UI and the meters aren't super sluggish and low framerate.

They still have more work to do but for me this is a massive improvment!