Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 03-03-2021, 08:06 AM

Default ProControl Fader Issue - Please Help

Hi - I have a ProControl Main Unit and one Fader Pack, that have worked flawlessly for two decades. Suddenly, the faders on the Main Unit will not stay above 0db when I move them manually. The simply bounce back to 0db or a bit below. If I move the on-screen faders, the Main Unit faders will match the moves, including above 0db, and stay there. The extra Fader Pack does not experience this issue. Is there a setting I may have accidentally changed? Thank you in advance for any assistance!
Old 03-04-2021, 08:55 AM

Default Re: ProControl Fader Issue - Please Help

Not sure if this will help, but its still good to know:

1-the hardware MUST have a solid earth ground for the faders to function correctly, so check your power cabling(you can't cut the ground pin of the AC plug or use one of those little adapter blocks from Home Depot).

2-the fader caps are conductive to sense capacitance in your skin. Swapping fader caps for plastic caps is a "no no".

3-if the climate is extremely dry(like it can get in winter), that can interfere(not sure if a little hand cream will help as I've never seen it bad enough to need).

4-back to the grounding issue, you can try connecting a piece of wire from the AC ground(the center screw of an outlet cover) to the chassis of the PC. You could also try wearing one of those grounding straps for working on computers.

Based on your exact description, I mostly suspect that the main unit has a grounding issue. Hope you work it out

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-04-2021, 01:48 PM

Thanks you very much for this informed response. Interestingly, I went to PT prefs, turned off my peripherals, and then turned them on again. PT searched for the main unit and fader pack, gave me a strange message “firmware is 3.17 and needs to be updated to 3.17”, which I allowed it to do. When I set the peripherals as the main unit and fader pack, everything suddenly worked again.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:40 PM

That's great news.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave