Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 01-04-2021, 09:45 AM

Default Audio Drive Recommendations?

I've been away for 'a while' with my PT system, but am now recording regularly again.

I need to purchase a new Internal Audio Drive, my set up has SATA 3 internal ports.
What SATA drives and Manufacturers/models are best for recording with nowadays - HDD, SSD etc?
Are Crucial any good?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Old 01-04-2021, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Audio Drive Recommendations?

Samsung is my favorite. And SSD for sure.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-04-2021, 10:53 AM

Samsung 860 Evo would likely be my go to.

Crucial is owned by Micron, a major manufacturer of NAND chips. They make nice drives, but typically make a wide variety of performance/cost drives. And you want to buy only their higher end consumer drives. But I'd go with Samsung largely because they control much more of the overall SSD and firmware development than most vendors.

Why limit yourself to SATA? Any other computer with spare PCIe slots can add PCIe/NVMe storage and for not much more that the cost of SATA you can get much faster performance. EDIT: OK I'll answer my own question, if you are really on Mountain Lion then you will need to upgrade to support NVMe, especially boot off NVMe. But if you are planning to upgrade then I'd include thinking about NVMe in that.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:05 AM

Thanks I think I'll go for the EVO.

Regarding PCI slots, I'm pretty full with a Firewire Card, GFX, Wifi, USB 3.0 etc.

And yes, my primary system is OSX 10.8.5 with PT11.3.2 and PT10.3.10, although I do have a Mojave drive with PT11.3.2 on it which works fine with the exception of audio import. You have to drag and drop instead.

But thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:48 AM

I've been running both Samsung EVO, and Pro. Zero failures so far. (Knock on wood.)

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-06-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I've been running both Samsung EVO, and Pro. Zero failures so far. (Knock on wood.)
Same here, but I feel obliged to offer this: The Samsung 860 QVO drives(which look like a great budget option) can be a can of worms! I bought one last year and was using it as a recording drive, and a few months in, it just dumped a lot of data by itself. 2 full projects either disappeared completely, or became corrupt enough that they refused to open at all. 1 project was backed up properly and only required a few minutes per song to get them back to 100%. The other project as not properly backed up(yes, my fault) and turned into a nightmare. I returned it to Samsung and they updated the firmware, but I still don't have enough confidence to put it back in service(for now, its an extra backup). PRO and EVO versions have been 100% reliable.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave