Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 01-04-2023, 11:45 AM

Default MBox 3 Mini w/ Monterey 12.5 - blinking blue light

Hey guys,

I'm trying to put together a separate mobile composer / recording rig using a small midi controller, my M1 2020 Macbook Air with OS Monterey 12.5.1, and my old Mbox 3 mini interface. However once I plug the mbox in, I'm getting the infamous blinking blue light.

From what I've read online, the blue light problem is usually that the mbox is either not receiving enough power from the laptop or that it's missing the correct drivers/codec to have the interface get recognized by the laptop. I downloaded the mbox control panel / most recent drivers available but when I tried to install it, I received an error message saying: “Mbox” needs to be updated - The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information."

The system report - hardware "USB" subsection shows MBOX as listed and being plugged in. Anyone know any work arounds or solutions to get the mbox recognized and operational? Hoping to not need to buy another mini interface.

Please help.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:20 PM

Default Re: MBox 3 Mini w/ Monterey 12.5 - blinking blue light

Hi, welcome to the community.

MBOX family drivers here. Note that they were last supported in 2018. I think you are out of luck.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:41 PM

Hey, thank you and thanks for the quick response. Yes, I did originally see those drivers when I was attempting to fix it myself. Laptop gave me an error message and not letting me install them, probably based on OS Monterey lack of compatibility I'm guessing.

Oh well, c'est la vie. I'll probably have to buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or something that's similar in size for my mobile setup.
Old 01-15-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaf View Post
Hey, thank you and thanks for the quick response. Yes, I did originally see those drivers when I was attempting to fix it myself. Laptop gave me an error message and not letting me install them, probably based on OS Monterey lack of compatibility I'm guessing.

Oh well, c'est la vie. I'll probably have to buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or something that's similar in size for my mobile setup.
It seems someone has tried this below?

Hello y'all!

I got the Mbox Mini 3 working on my MacBook Pro (2016) OS Monterey 12.4.

What I did was install the latest Mbox Mini driver on my Windows Bootcamp. Made sure it was working, then installed it on the Mac. Mac OS asked me to restart the PC and after that the interface was working!

Just thought I'd let y'all know..