Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2022, 10:42 PM

Default Is there a way to set a track to Can Not Mute?

Hi there,
Can I set a track so it can't be mute even if I option click M on other tracks this track will not light on the mute button?
I know there's a solo safe but this is slightly different
Old 12-21-2022, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Is there a way to set a track to Can Not Mute?

Sort of a Mute Safe. I've not heard of such a thing in PT but could see how it might be useful.
Old 12-22-2022, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Sort of a Mute Safe. I've not heard of such a thing in PT but could see how it might be useful.
there're certain case like I want to mute all tracks (cmd click mute) except a certain track , for e.g. the dialogue track to be always on
Old 12-22-2022, 01:02 AM

On every new project the first thing I do is disable mute-automation entirely on all tracks.
(The stray random mutes turning themselves on and off via random breakpoints from re-conforms drives me nuts.)

Just make the mute-lane visible and command-click onto the "MUTE" label of the lane. This will disable any automation entirely and make your mute static (either on or off). The label will become italic to show that it's completely disabled and will ignore and automation on that lane. From then on your mote will be fully manual/static regardless the automation prefs.

This will obviously not disable the mute button functionality but it will stop the annoying.

You could route it via a send that is pre-fade so the channel mute becomes ineffective even when pressed. But that's a slightly dangerous move as your level will be pre-fade as well.

If you want the mute to permanently be off all the time I'd keep the automation on, write a mute-off to the whole track and set automation to read-only this will make the track always unmute when you hit play. Any other automation on that track will be read-only of course.

F.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 12-22-2022 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
On every new project the first thing I do is disable mute-automation entirely on all tracks.
(The stray random mutes turning themselves on and off via random breakpoints from re-conforms drives me nuts.)

Just make the mute-lane visible and command-click onto the "MUTE" label of the lane. This will disable any automation entirely and make your mute static (either on or off). The label will become italic to show that it's completely disabled and will ignore and automation on that lane. From then on your mote will be fully manual/static regardless the automation prefs.

This will obviously not disable the mute button functionality but it will stop the annoying.

You could route it via a send that is pre-fade so the channel mute becomes ineffective even when pressed. But that's a slightly dangerous move as your level will be pre-fade as well.

If you want the mute to permanently be off all the time I'd keep the automation on, write a mute-off to the whole track and set automation to read-only this will make the track always unmute when you hit play. Any other automation on that track will be read-only of course.

F.
Thanks , great thinkings, but on the contrary , I want a certain track to be always on and not get muted
Old 12-22-2022, 02:27 AM

Then write a mute-off to the whole track.

@Frank: A very good trick btw.

P.S.: Frank wrote: mute-off so the track will be unmuted when you hit play.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Eller View Post
Then write a mute-off to the whole track.

@Frank: A very good trick btw.

P.S.: Frank wrote: mute-off so the track will be unmuted when you hit play.
Yes, but when I need to suspend automation for all the tracks, this will not do the trick.
Old 12-22-2022, 12:07 PM

Maybe create a group for all other tracks and exclude the track(s) that you want to maintain a muted state?

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory
Old 02-06-2023, 08:03 AM

Wow. I'm having a Mandela moment here. In every project I make, I have set the 'Mute' function to 'Off' on every Stem track (which are Aux's obviously). This means I can solo any instrument or voice across the mix and I can hear it because the aux bus it is passing through does not mute, just all the other tracks.
Today I can't do it! I'm sure is was two keys on the MAC keyboard+Click but it doesn't work. Ah.....
Old 02-06-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph2 View Post
Wow. I'm having a Mandela moment here. In every project I make, I have set the 'Mute' function to 'Off' on every Stem track (which are Aux's obviously). This means I can solo any instrument or voice across the mix and I can hear it because the aux bus it is passing through does not mute, just all the other tracks.
Today I can't do it! I'm sure is was two keys on the MAC keyboard+Click but it doesn't work. Ah.....
I think you're thinking of Solo-Safe. On Mac, first make sure that you are in SIP (Solo In Place) mode, then cmd-click the Solo button on the Auxes and they will grey out.