Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 12-24-2013, 04:21 PM

Default Recording patch changes in a software instrument in realtime?

Hi guys

Very quick question - I'm almost positive the answer is that this can't be done... but worth asking!

My band do our writing sessions in my small studio, and in the past I have used a number of hardware synths in these idea-generating sessions, all armed on a record track so that ideas are captured as we jam.

I've just discovered OMNISPHERE (it's absolutely amazing)... probably the first software instrument I've ever had that can really complete with dedicated hardware in terms of magical sounding patches.

During these sessions I often change patches on all the synths as we play, for inspiration. My question is this - during one of these writing jams, which can typically last for about 30 minutes per "song", is it possible to capture patch changes in Omnisphere in real time while we record?

I'm pretty sure this can't be done in any DAW, but would love to hear I'm wrong!

Cheers,
Mike

iMac i7 3.5GHz + RME UFX + Event Opal + Nord Stage 2 + Korg Kronos 73 + Kurzweil PC3-61 + Dave Smith Prophet 08 + Roland Juno 106 + Roland V-Drums TD12 + Yamaha U1 piano

www.thepeopledownstairs.com
Old 12-25-2013, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Recording patch changes in a software instrument in realtime?

Write automation as you record. This is a PT11 new feature (that I've requested since PT7.2 as in seven years ago).
Old 12-25-2013, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Write automation as you record. This is a PT11 new feature (that I've requested since PT7.2 as in seven years ago).
Hey!

Thanks very much for such a quick reply!

I've just tried the following process, with no luck...

1) In Preferences > Operation > Record, I have ticked the box "Enable automation in record"

2) I have set up a new instrument track running Omnisphere.

3) On this track, I have set automation to "write"

4) I have then recorded some MIDI on the track, and after a couple of bars I have changed the patch in Omnisphere. I did this again a few bars later - to a different patch - before finishing recording.

5) I then switched automation on the track to "read", and played back the track.

6) The patch changes in Omnisphere were not played back when the track was played back.

I'm fairly confident this is the correct process - but not dead sure! Based on your reply it sounds like you have been looking for this feature for a while prior to PT11 - so hopefully you have some thoughts on where I'm going wrong!

Cheers,
Mike

iMac i7 3.5GHz + RME UFX + Event Opal + Nord Stage 2 + Korg Kronos 73 + Kurzweil PC3-61 + Dave Smith Prophet 08 + Roland Juno 106 + Roland V-Drums TD12 + Yamaha U1 piano

Old 12-25-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Except that won't work in the MIDI stream.
Maybe the op has patch changes filtered out?
Something I've found is that unless one has a super fast (read ssd) drive for the content patch changes on Omnisphere are not instant and can and will interrupt the sound flow. Not to mention that some sounds don't work right when changing patches in the middle of holding notes and you have to re-trigger the notes. Omnisphere does not do background loading which is what would be needed for seamless work.

And Omnisphere is still a processor hog on some patches. I have one Enya piece I'm working on with one Kontakt instance and two Omnisphere instances (3 tracks total) on the system in my sig file and it wants to stop every so often. I see the main cpu meter bouncing around sometimes up to 100% but none of the other meters are really doing anything over 9-10% if that.

QAPLA!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:51 AM

Omnisphere is a plugin, so it's different than MIDI patch changes. As in you need to click some button on the plugin window to get the patch change happening.

So, enable that button for automation and write it as you go. Should work.

EDIT:
Those buttons are by the way not enabled for automation by default, unless you set that in preferences. But it will then enable all buttons on all plugins, which may not be what you want (and plugin windows start to look weird because there are automation boxes around all buttons and dials). So take a look at that Omnisphere and find the button which you need for patch change, and enable that for automation. Then write that automation.

Last edited by JFreak; 12-25-2013 at 06:53 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-25-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Omnisphere is a plugin, so it's different than MIDI patch changes. As in you need to click some button on the plugin window to get the patch change happening.

So, enable that button for automation and write it as you go. Should work.

EDIT:
Those buttons are by the way not enabled for automation by default, unless you set that in preferences. But it will then enable all buttons on all plugins, which may not be what you want (and plugin windows start to look weird because there are automation boxes around all buttons and dials). So take a look at that Omnisphere and find the button which you need for patch change, and enable that for automation. Then write that automation.
A lot depends on exactly how Omnisphere does it patch changes. Just because it's a plugin or not has nothing to do with it. There are some vi plugs that do respond to MIDI patch changes - Arturia synths for one. NI Pro53 is another but Kontakt 5 doesn't.

QAPLA!
Old 12-25-2013, 01:45 PM

Update:
Omnisphere does not expose it's patch change to the outside world. It's done via a list tree that has nothing the outside world can hook to for patch changes. Tried different things this afternoon and nothing worked. MIDI patch change whether in PT MIDI track or keyboard, automation for patch change - nothing.

QAPLA!
Old 12-25-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Update:
Omnisphere does not expose it's patch change to the outside world. It's done via a list tree that has nothing the outside world can hook to for patch changes. Tried different things this afternoon and nothing worked. MIDI patch change whether in PT MIDI track or keyboard, automation for patch change - nothing.
Hey Jack

Many thanks for testing this out (before I had a chance to) - it looks like the limitation is due to omnisphere, not PT. This wasn't a dealbreaker in any way, I was just hoping to be able to change patches during jam sessions and have those changes recorded in PT.

For actual recording / production of songs, there is of course no need for this at all.

Really appreciate you help - and thanks also to others who have given their thoughts!

Cheers,
Mike