Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2009, 07:24 AM

Default Record punch in problems

I'm having a hard time with the record punch in. When i select a region to punch in, do i just hold the mouse and drag a region, and then back up the cursor and go? What's happening is when i back up the cursor to give me time to get ready, it starts to record right away, instead of waiting a few seconds before it reaches my selected punch in for record. The book states to "select time line" and i did that and it still does not work. I've also tried record loop and still no luck.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Record punch in problems

In the transport you need to set a "pre-roll" time and turn it on. You can make it however many beats/bars you'd like. If you make it 4 measures playback will start 4 measures before your punch-in selection and then start recording when it reaches the punch point.
Gear: UA 6176, UA 2-1176, Daking IV, Presonus ADL-600, 2 GAP PRE73
Other Software: Ableton 8, Reason 4, Sibelius 6
Plugs: Mercury Bundle, Full UA
Old 04-09-2009, 11:14 AM

You can also turn on Dynamic Transport. You can then put your Play Start Marker wherever you want.. It doesn't need to be connected to the Timeline selection (which controls your punch-in-out) Read about it in the Manual and Check it out in the ProTools Accelerated Videos.. I think it was a new feature in v7.3 ...

Of course there's always QuickPunch too... I have a foot switch so that can work well sometimes..
Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 PM

Or you can select the area you are going to punch, then option click in the track however far in front of it and however far after it and you have set your pre and post roll.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egg View Post
Or you can select the area you are going to punch, then option click in the track however far in front of it and however far after it and you have set your pre and post roll.
That's most often what I would do as well.

Select the region you want to drop in (as you're already doing) then OPTION click at the point you want the music to play form before the drop in.

As suggested you can also option click AFTER the region to set how far ProTools will continue to roll after dropping out.
If QUICKPUNCH is also enabled, then the nice thing is that even though you'll hear the drop as you set it, it's really recording all the time "underneath" and you can drag, adjust the ins and outs a bit for the smoothest transitions later.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 AM

Default Re: importing song for burn

Ok, here we go, can anyone give me a very basic step by step when trying to open my song in itunes to burn to cd. I already understand how to export from pro tools and i usually selct the mac hard drive for the destination when i get to itunes to open it, but i'm having a hard time in itunes finding my song. i tried opening the different ones like add playlist and new playlist but it seemed to add a whole bunch of stuff into it that i do not need. I have been able to burn cd's it's just been a troubleshooting experience. Anyone?