Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2019, 06:19 AM

Default autotune vs melodyne (looking for keyboard input feature in autotune)

i posted a question like this earlier.. but

1) i am wondering the differences bt autotune and melodyne,
like why would you use one or the other..
is certain better for certain things,
and what are the pros and cons of each

2) in melodyine under the midi menu is the 'midi in edits notes' button,
in order to play midi notes via keyboard, instead of (just having to be) clicking and dragging everything
(i know for a fact, that this works fine, and is workeable)..

i am looking for a similar feature in autotune, but i think it is not the exact same, bc..
in autotune i have come to the understanding this is similar to the 'target notes via midi' button
but to my understanding the button is just something to basically just 'pre-record' a stuck (and unmoving) segment..
as in you cant make minute changes, like highlight a section, and actually play notes on midi keyboard, to switch section around..

does any body know about this 'target notes via midi' button, in autotune(??),
like is it just rote-recording.. or can you make minute adjustments with it...
like i think it is to make a singluar midi recording, and then change, whatever inputed sound to exactly that recording..
but can you go back and highlight certain sections(??), to fix them individually, in this way...
..(via midi keyboard)..
does anybody know about the 'target notes via midi' button in autotune(??)'

..thank you for any help.. ..or advice..
Old 01-09-2019, 08:22 AM

Default Re: ..autotune vs melodyne.. ..(looking for keyboard input feature in autotune)..

I use both in series with each other on nearly all the vocals I edit, which is a lot. I edit about 3 songs worth of big pop productions every day.

Autotune sounds great when something is already close to the note and the performance is good.

Melodyne sounds great if you need to move notes a bit more, or drastically change performances. Changing entire melodies, removing swoopiness etc.

So I almost always have Melodyne running into Autotune. Melodyne for the big moves, and autotune to really lock it in.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:33 AM

Default Re: ..autotune vs melodyne.. ..(looking for keyboard input feature in autotune)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax Productions View Post
I use both in series with each other on nearly all the vocals I edit, which is a lot. I edit about 3 songs worth of big pop productions every day.

Autotune sounds great when something is already close to the note and the performance is good.

Melodyne sounds great if you need to move notes a bit more, or drastically change performances. Changing entire melodies, removing swoopiness etc.

So I almost always have Melodyne running into Autotune. Melodyne for the big moves, and autotune to really lock it in.
I do the exact same thing as mentioned here. I also am glad to have both. I also have Waves Tune and I use all of them interchangeably and equally. I do find Melodyne more useful on instruments. Especially instruments that have polyphony.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
I do the exact same thing as mentioned here. I also am glad to have both. I also have Waves Tune and I use all of them interchangeably and equally. I do find Melodyne more useful on instruments. Especially instruments that have polyphony.
Exactly! If you're serious about editing vocals, I'd say get both. If you're just starting out, or just learning, pick whichever one you like the workflow, or sound, of better.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Melodyne for the big moves, and autotune to really lock it in.

1)when you say melodyne for the 'big moves', what do you particulary mean the 'big moves' ..(??)..
you are talking about the 'midi in edits notes' button .. right(??) ..
....(or are you referring to something else)....
as in to completely change the melody..
via midi keyboard, not (click/dragwmouse)
is this what you mean particularly,..(??)
or what in particular do you mean by the 'big moves' ..(??)..

2)..does autotune not have a similar feature to the 'midi in edits notes' feature of melodyne..(??) ..
..like you can not do this over there in autotune as well..?
..(this is the 'target notes via midi' button right..?)
..except it is non editable once recorded right.. or can you like highlight a section, and change it via midi, not click/dragwmouse
what is the differences bt the autotune 'target notes via midi' button and the melodyne 'midi in edits notes' button ..
in simply tutorials only, the autotune 'target notes via midi' button.. seems to be: **rote**,
as in like record, 1ce but cant change individual notes, via midi keyboard...
like simply a **pasteover**
is this true or how true is this, can you: change **individual notes** in **autotune** via **midi keyboard**,(??) ..
(like w 'target notes via midi' button)
if so, how do you do this
Old 01-09-2019, 11:14 PM

hello,

Quote:

Melodyne for the big moves, and autotune to really lock it in.

1)when you say melodyne for the 'big moves', what do you particulary mean the 'big moves' ..(??)..
you are talking about the 'midi in edits notes' button .. right(??) ..
....(or are you referring to something else)....
as in to completely change the melody..
via midi keyboard, not (click/dragwmouse)
is this what you mean particularly,..(??)
or what in particular do you mean by the 'big moves' ..(??)..

2)..does autotune not have a similar feature to the 'midi in edits notes' feature of melodyne..(??) ..
..like you can not do this over there in autotune as well..?
.. (this is the 'target notes via midi' button (in autotune) right..?)
..except it is non editable once recorded right.. or can you like highlight a section, and change it via midi, not click/dragwmouse

........ what is the **differences** bt the **autotune 'target notes via midi'** button and the **melodyne 'midi in edits notes'** button ........

.. ..in simply tutorials only, the **autotune** 'target notes via midi' button.. seems to be: **rote**,
as in like record, 1ce but cant change individual notes, via midi keyboard...
like simply a **pasteover**
is this true or how true is this, can you: change **individual notes** in **autotune** via **midi keyboard**,(??) ..
(like w melodynes 'midi in edits notes' button)
if so, how do you do this

..thank you for any help, and advice..

Last edited by heidib123; 01-10-2019 at 12:07 AM.