Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-09-2012, 08:43 PM

Yup, crashes every time you zoom in a little too quickly ZZZZZZzzzzZzZzZzZz COME ON NOW DIGI/AVID WHATEVER !!!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Angry Re: I'm tired of the Zoom Bug. Please post request for Digi to prioritize this bug fi

Hello,

We have been experiencing the same Zoom bug. It happens sometimes as much as twice a day. Usually zooming in to put or check a fade, using "r" and "t" for zoom, get a spinning wheel then Pro Tools just crashes (just disappears sometimes followed by an Apple crash report). We've actually been plagued by this bug for years. It's continued across at least 2 different computers and has been happening since somewhere in version 8.

Our current system is:
12 core Mac Pro
24 GB of RAM
OS 10.7.4
PT 10.3.0 HDX 3
3x 192
1x HD I/O
Sync I/O
OCX external clock

We use a lot soft synths and stuff so we try to keep our buffer set at 256 when we can. We usually have short delay compensation turned on, and sometimes use our UAD (hooked up firewire 800). We record on to an internal SATA drive. We were having far too many "disk to slow" errors early on so our disk cache is set to 5 GB (that cleared all of that up). Auto back up is set to every 3 min. I've recently reinstalled 10.3.0 after the automation bugs in 10.3.1. I did a clean uninstall followed by a new install. I've also recently been through trashing prefs and the usual stuff. Nothing's made much of a difference. ... I sure some of this stuff is irrelevant but just looking for anything that may be unique to our setups.

Avid techs, if there is any more info I can give or anything we can try please contact me! This has been an incredibly frustrating problem and we have lost a lot of good work from it.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM

Default Re: I'm tired of the Zoom Bug. Please post request for Digi to prioritize this bug fi

I just ran into the most reproducible version of this bug I've seen. We had a crash 3 times in a row trying to zoom into the same spot to check a fade. I decided to try a "Save Copy In" to see if I could get us working again. It seems like that fixed whatever was going on. We shall see if it happens again or not though.

I'm not a computer programer or anything but I wonder if this bug has to do with the redrawing of the waveforms as we zoom in. Is that what the WaveCache.wfm file does? I see that doing a "save copy in" seems to rebuild that file (as well as many others).
Old 11-16-2012, 12:35 PM

Default Re: I'm tired of the Zoom Bug. Please post request for Digi to prioritize this bug fi

So it looks like the "save copy in" didn't fix it and neither did deleting the WaveCache file. However the steps it took to make it happen again were so specific we were able to do them in a slightly different order and avoid the crash. I guess that's what makes this bug seem so random.

I was able to strip the session down and pass it along to some beta testers. Hopefully it will help...
Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM

Lightbulb Re: I'm tired of the Zoom Bug. Please post request for Digi to prioritize this bug fi

It looks like all of my zoom crashes have been due to large sessions near the 32bit ram limit. More info here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...56#post2010156

I've been able to test the low ram theory by making a new session with about 32 tracks (or however many it takes to hit the ram limit) each with one Ozone 5 plugin (chosen because it uses a lot of ram) start doing a bunch of random edits then fade all, zoom in, zoom out, change all fades, zoom in... repeat till crash. Not sure if that was the cause for everyone else or not but worth looking into. You can see how much ram you are using from Activity Monitor.