Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-11-2006, 02:10 PM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine *update 06-05

Bravo Shan for all of your hard work and informative posts..you really have become a catalyst for the next generation of native systems. I appreciate your time...thanks

PS- Hey Digi...give this guy something...he's doing a lot of work for you!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:02 PM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine

Hi guys,

I've just built one of these Quad Opterons (Quadzilla's ) :

AMD 270 x2
Silverstone mid tower case
Corsair 1gb x4 PC3200 ECC
etc... etc...

The thing is, what I also have in the PC is:
HD Core card x1
HD Accel card x1

So it is an HD2 Quad machine. I wonder how well this system will perform considering the mix bus will be handled by the DSP. I have yet to try any tests as I have just got this system running.

Anyone else with this setup?
Old 05-11-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
So it is an HD2 Quad machine. I wonder how well this system will perform considering the mix bus will be handled by the DSP. I have yet to try any tests as I have just got this system running.

Anyone else with this setup?
Read my earlier posts above regarding this. You will also find some test results on the very first post. So far, from my tests on the HD 1, the amount of extra gain I get is very little. An RTAS Dverb test on LE and HD 1 is essentially the same. I can get one more RTAS Dverb with the HD core card going. The extra power the core gives me is approx 1/2 of a core from my Opteron 265, if it was possible to add an extra 1/2 core. And that is all My theory that I would get a ton of extra RTAS power because the mix engine is handled on the core card didnt pan out like I originally thought.

Also something to note, when PT LE is maxed out on the Dverb test, playback/record response is still very fast. Almost instant.

A quad and HD 2 will give you a ton of power. I also have an Accel card I'll be throwing in my Tyan system soon to test out. I'll be posting my results under the "Poor Man's HD rig" thread on the TDM forum when I get through testing with the pros and cons of each.

At this point in time for what I do, a hybrid system with HD 1 works pretty good. But it can also be done all Native with a pimped out Quad or OctaPC.

Keep in mind this is my opinion for my line of work based on my own tests. I am not promoting for people to start dumping their HD rigs and going native. It all depends on what you do, how you work, and what you need. But I will say that native PT is very very powerful on the Quads and beyond.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-11-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Bravo Shan for all of your hard work and informative posts..you really have become a catalyst for the next generation of native systems. I appreciate your time...thanks

PS- Hey Digi...give this guy something...he's doing a lot of work for you!
The HD 1 rig I'm testing out is courtesy of Digidesign. Same with the Accel card. I'm very thankful for our local Digi rep to let me use the demo unit in my studio for a bit.

More tests await. It's a big investment for me and my studio partner and we havent decided what to do yet. The hybrid approach is working very well for us so far for our line of work.

The TDM versus RTAS tests will be interesting though.

Another thing to note is that PT LE and HD 7.1cs6 is very very stable on my quad system at this point.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-11-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Also, is it confirmed that XP Pro must be used for Quads?

Yes.
Is SP 2 required for the quad processors right from the install or could you install from an older version of XP Pro and upgrade to SP2 ?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 AM

Well here's the pickle. The apparent difference between a quad running LE or HD and a quad running M-P is equivalent to roughly 5 HD Accel cards. Unless you've got serious need to run certain TDM plugs, it doesn't look all that cost-effective to do HD/RTAS on a quad.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Is SP 2 required for the quad processors right from the install or could you install from an older version of XP Pro and upgrade to SP2 ?
You can install an older version of XP and upgrade. This is what I have done myself.

Shane

Old 05-12-2006, 01:26 AM

Shane

I caught in a thread not so long ago, saying that you boot your operating system from disc, did I catch that right?

filosofem
Old 05-12-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:
I caught in a thread not so long ago, saying that you boot your operating system from disc, did I catch that right?
Linux Distro to surf. (With Firefox of course)

Shane

Old 05-12-2006, 02:22 AM

Shane

No Windows ...but how? What can you tell me.

filosofem