Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2023, 04:11 PM

Default QuickTime automatically fading out audio

Alright geniuses, here's an interesting one. It is PT related.

So we bounce our 30 music track by selecting the same length as the movie we've scored to. Now the video and the audio are the same length. For a few reasons I won't go into we cannot Bounce To MOV, so in order to marry our audio back to picture we do this in QuickTime. It's easy, you just delete the audio already on the MOV file and drag your new audio into the window and presto they're married.

The problem is, QuickTime wants to automatically fade the audio starting about 1 second before the end of the video, so if our audio track was meant to play in full up to the very end... nope, QuickTime fades it.

The way we've gotten around this is to add a 2nd video file to the end of the 1st which is nothing but 1 second of black frames. That gives the audio the chance to play in full, without being faded.

However, there are a few cases where we're unable to add those black frames, so I'm looking for a way to STOP QuickTime from automatically fading audio at the end. It seems like such an odd default function, but I can find no setting to turn it off, and there's no real reference to this on the internet that I can find.

If you can find a fix before I do I promise to thank you outloud at my home. It's the best I can offer, but I will be appreciative.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:23 PM

Default Re: QuickTime automatically fading out audio

Alternatively, use www.shutterencoder.com to marry the audio to the video.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-28-2023, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Alternatively, use www.shutterencoder.com to marry the audio to the video.
It's an interesting option. The advantage of QT is that it's a very simple and straightforward app where we can fly through many files (versions) at a fast pace. Although Shutter Encoder has a lot of options its interface isn't overly complicated and it can be used to simply replace audio if that's what's needed. And that's what's needed for me.

I'll see how it works in the field.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:36 AM

I've not noticed this Eric and have been using for quite sometime.
Most likely reason I have not noticed, is that TVCs in Australia require a half second (or 12 frames @25FPS.... well actually it should be 12.5)... so maybe that's why I've not heard this.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 03-01-2023, 07:55 AM

Is it just fading whilst playing in Quicktime or you notice it in other programs/QC? I've noticed when I use Quicklook to check something it sometimes cuts the 2pop off or slightly fades at the end. But it's not in the file.

I haven't touched QT since they deprecated the old QT 7 Pro.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:39 AM

It seems to be written into the file, but I'm only 99% certain of that because we tend to preview the new file with QT.

What we do is: open a MOV file which will have an existing audio track, select Remove Audio, drag the new audio which we want to replace the old into the window, click Close where it then asks what we want to name the new file. Give it a unique name and presto it seems to be done. However, when we double-click the new file the last second will be an unintentional fade out.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:46 AM

Well, I just did a test and it appears that the audio is NOT actually faded in the file, it's just QT fading the audio during playback and ONLY in the edit window as we're overlaying that new audio onto the video. False alarm, I suppose.