Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Unwrap PT <-> tc System 6000

Hi all,

since I don't get any answers from tc electronic, I'll try here:

I've been testing Unwrap on our System 6000 (unwrapping stereo music to 5.1) during a film mix last week and must say I'm impressed.
However now Unwrap is available for PT as well, so I have the demo loaded onto our PT systems.
Remarks:
- it has already crashed our PT system 3 times with a kernel panic (grey screen, needing restart) during our evaluation. Normal behavior?
- it lacks 2 contour settings for center en surround channels. Now this was just one of the few parameters I tweaked during the mix on the 6000 (I chose contour 4 on the center channel with some eq tweaking, using the standard Unwrap as a starting point), that doesn't exist on the PT version.

I would like to now from tc or digidesign, why there are only 2 contour settings in the PT version (dsp limitation compared to 6000?)
For flexibility I would prefer to buy the PT version, but if the 6000 version is better I will go with that.

Any other users here, who compared the 2?

Kind regards,

Thierry
Old 03-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Unwrap PT <-> tc System 6000

Quote:
Hi all,

since I don't get any answers from tc electronic, I'll try here:

I've been testing Unwrap on our System 6000 (unwrapping stereo music to 5.1) during a film mix last week and must say I'm impressed.
However now Unwrap is available for PT as well, so I have the demo loaded onto our PT systems.
Remarks:
- it has already crashed our PT system 3 times with a kernel panic (grey screen, needing restart) during our evaluation. Normal behavior?
- it lacks 2 contour settings for center en surround channels. Now this was just one of the few parameters I tweaked during the mix on the 6000 (I chose contour 4 on the center channel with some eq tweaking, using the standard Unwrap as a starting point), that doesn't exist on the PT version.

I would like to now from tc or digidesign, why there are only 2 contour settings in the PT version (dsp limitation compared to 6000?)
For flexibility I would prefer to buy the PT version, but if the 6000 version is better I will go with that.

Any other users here, who compared the 2?

Kind regards,

Thierry
No crashes here with the Unwrap plug-in.

I haven't had the opportunity to compare the two.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:49 PM

Be careful if you plan on doing an LtRt later. Sometimes music that has been "unwrapped" get's really weird when you do an LtRt. We used it a lot on a movie that we did and on the 2track the music was all in the surrounds. it was a real pain to get it to sound right.

I've heard that the lex 960 upmix programs work better but I have yet to try them
Old 03-05-2007, 11:53 PM

I check LtRt compatibility all the time while mixing 5.1
In my experience with unwrap (which is limited to one film and a few commercials at this moment), it's very compatible when listening back in stereo or Dolby Surround decoded from LtRt.
Of course the surrounds will sound different (limited to 7kHz in Dolby Surround) and the stereo width will differ, but it's very tweakable in Unwrap.
It all depends on how compatible you want to have the LtRt and 5.1
For me, I like using the wider frequency response of the surrounds in 5.1 and as a result the LtRt will sometimes differ more than other times. But it's not that because there's still black and white television that you can't use colours with colour television...

Greetings,

Thierry