Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2000, 02:58 PM

Default since you\'re making rev2, here\'s some ideas for rev3...

Dear Digi: Along with all the PTFree bug fixes I'm anxiously awaiting, how about allowing multiple soundcards for those of us with more than just the "preferred device"? How about allowing choice of installation drives for those of us with more than "C:\"? How about allowing "Virtual Audio Cable" links to our other software so we can utilize our existing DX and VST Plug-ins in their environments? For PTLE: I've received the Digi 001 video, very inticing ... I would drop $800 in a second IF it allowed the aforementioned VAC link to my other software.
Of course, everything is on hold until the Digi 001 will work with WinME. If you want world domination, think about adding the abilities above to your products.
Old 11-25-2000, 11:59 PM

Default Re: since you\'re making rev2, here\'s some ideas for rev3...

LOL

Digi 001 doesn't even have word clock. Get a Maudio Delta 1010 until you can one day afford ProTools MIX.
Old 11-26-2000, 02:24 AM

Hmmm... would I rather have a Digidesign Digi001 or a M-Audio (MidiMan) Delta 1010 ??

They both list for around $1000, but..

The Delta 1010 is a 10 in, 10 out system. The Digi001 is a 18in, 18out system. The Delta 1010 doesn't have ADAT support (unless you pay another $300 for the 1010AI option), the Digi001 does.

The Delta 1010 has only line-level inputs, the Digi001 has 2 built-in Mic Pre amplifiers with phantom power.

The Delta 1010 has no separate headphone or studio monitor outputs, the Digi001 has both with separate volume control knobs.

The Digi001 has a foot switch input for doing cool things like punch-in, the Delta 1010 doesn't have such a feature.

The Digi001 supports Pro Tools LE so I can interchange session data with Pro Tools TDM (the industry standard DAW, found in most high-end recording studios).

The choice is pretty clear for me.

What's that about word clock? How about just sync'ing via the S/PDIF or ADAT light pipe?

Regards,
Kenn LeGault
Digidesign
Old 11-26-2000, 02:31 AM

Hi tgorle,

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree with most of what you've suggested...

The "install anywhere" feature (so you don't have to put Pro Tools on your system drive)has already been implemented and is coming soon.

Our solution to the "VAC" feature you request is called DirectConnect. It exists on the Mac platform and should be available on Windows next year.

As far as multiple sound cards when using PT FREE, you can specify one card as input and another card as output if you like. If your goal is to have more than 2 channels of input or output at one time, this will unfortunately not be supported.

Keep those ideas coming...

Regards,
Kenn LeGault
Digidesign
Old 11-27-2000, 09:10 AM

Thanks Kenn! Here's my next question: If I buy the Digi 001 now, can I get a free upgrade when Windows eventually gets the DirectConnect feature, or should I wait?
Old 11-27-2000, 03:25 PM

Hey Ken,

I don't know what kind of discount you get, but I got my Delta 1010 for $600. Word clock is neccessary for video post, my line of work. I can't live without it. I A/B'd the Delta 1010 & Digi 001, and the Delta just plain sounds better. Not to mention compatability will all windows software, and WDM drivers for ultra low (read: 1ms) latencies. Gigasampler drivers too!

I use big boy PT MIX|PLUS for big work, and there's no denying the power of that system. But for the sub $1000 market, the Delta owns the heap.

Mic pre's? Puhleeze

Could you please tell me what brand of converters the Digi 001 uses? Not gonna start any arguments AT ALL! I would own a Digi 001 if I were a Mac user.

Much respect,
robotobon
Old 11-28-2000, 05:24 AM

Ok Robo, you've got me thinking (read uncertain) again. Guitar Center has the 10/10 bundled with Vegas for $599 right now... So what's your favorite DAW? I hear Logic Audio Platinum is compatible with TDM also. By the way Kenn, still haven't found a way to keep PTFree open for more than a minute without a freeze.
Old 11-28-2000, 06:49 AM

I have to agree with Robotron. Every "cheap" solution by digidesign has either been sub-par or - and this is the biggie - hyped by digidesign then simply DROPPED. I can't tell you how many AMIII and project card owners i've known who literally want to kill everyone who works at digidesign. Their only saving grace was the magical "upgrade" path to the D24 card (which, imho, is laughable).
What's the point of having an 888 i/o w/o all those tdm's ?

Anyway, the point i'm trying to make is go with the delta10/10 or even the layla24 - open standards give you way more options.
Old 11-28-2000, 11:57 AM

I'm sorry if I made anyone think. But spoonie is right, Digi always drops it's lowend users on their ears. Upgrade paths cost more money that lowend users don't have.

My favorite DAW is Logic Audio Platinum, probably the most powerful software ever made. My Favorite sounding DAW is PARIS, the finest piece of DAW technology available.

This probably isn't the place for this discussion and I don't want to take anytime away from people trying to get PTF workin.

For those with Digi lowend products, if you're happy then that's all that matters. Same with anyother DAW.

Happy tracking!
-robotobon